Labeling unique pages with unique identifiers (name/ID number)

Anonymous
2018-11-16T23:56:38+00:00

I have one document with 144 pages.  Each page is unique and numbered (1, 2, 3, etc), and I want to label each of those pages with a set of First Name, Last Name, and ID number which correlate to the numbers on the page.  For example, the top of the document will say "Case #1" which correlates to John Smith, ID#22201, then second page will have "Case #2" which correlates to Jane Austen, ID#22202, etc.  The document is not the same, meaning everything else on the page is different text, so I just want to "label" each page with the unique identifiers.  Possible in the footer of the page as the text is crowding.  Not sure if I need to splice each document out individually?  This is something that I need to do every few months with different identifiers (different names that correlate to the same case #s, so I realize I can do this manually - copy and paste the information on each page, but looking for a long term solution.  I tried mail merge, but I am limited in my understanding, and I believe it has to be the same document that can "import" the identifiers onto the same text.  Thoughts?

[The thread has been moved to the correct category by forum moderator]

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-11-29T23:11:13+00:00

    Hi Jocelyn, 

    Thanks for your reply in PM.

    Based on my test, I can't achieve your goal via out-of-box feature. It needs some complex VBA codes. To give you a further support, I will move this thread into the Programming category, thanks for your understanding.

    Regards,

    Neo

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-11-28T16:40:58+00:00

    Thanks Neo, I replied to your PM.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-11-28T16:09:49+00:00

    Hi Jocelyn,

    We need some more time to test your goal. To have a better understanding of your scenario, could you please share with me a copy of your file? If so, to protect your privacy, you can share with me your file via Private Message. 

    Thanks,

    Neo

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-11-27T16:22:41+00:00

    Doug,

    Thank you for your efforts.  Hopefully someone else within the community can assist.  

    Have a wonderful day!

    Jocelyn

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2018-11-27T03:44:02+00:00

    As I recall, the first pages of that document were like a fruit-salad bowl of un-necessary continuous section breaks and if it is typical of the real document, then I do not believe there is much chance of automating the process.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments