Labeling unique pages with unique identifiers (name/ID number)

Anonymous
2018-11-16T23:56:38+00:00

I have one document with 144 pages.  Each page is unique and numbered (1, 2, 3, etc), and I want to label each of those pages with a set of First Name, Last Name, and ID number which correlate to the numbers on the page.  For example, the top of the document will say "Case #1" which correlates to John Smith, ID#22201, then second page will have "Case #2" which correlates to Jane Austen, ID#22202, etc.  The document is not the same, meaning everything else on the page is different text, so I just want to "label" each page with the unique identifiers.  Possible in the footer of the page as the text is crowding.  Not sure if I need to splice each document out individually?  This is something that I need to do every few months with different identifiers (different names that correlate to the same case #s, so I realize I can do this manually - copy and paste the information on each page, but looking for a long term solution.  I tried mail merge, but I am limited in my understanding, and I believe it has to be the same document that can "import" the identifiers onto the same text.  Thoughts?

[The thread has been moved to the correct category by forum moderator]

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Charles Kenyon 171.1K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2018-11-22T00:23:12+00:00

    The "it will update for each page" will only apply if:

    1. there is only one Section in the document, or
    2. if there are multiple sections, the header\footer (as applicable) is linked to that in the previous Section.

    The document that I received had multiple Sections in it.

    Using my Add-In or a macro to make all page numbering continuous solves the multiple sections.

    You posted such a macro a while back in this thread:

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_word-mso_winother/pagination-in-word-10/1ec79e8d-5fc7-4ae3-af77-f5768fb13dcf

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2018-11-21T23:03:28+00:00

    Given that the nature of the actual document and the manual method of compiling it, I would suggest that you are just going to have to insert the names manually.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2018-11-21T23:00:04+00:00

    The "it will update for each page" will only apply if:

    1. there is only one Section in the document, or
    2. if there are multiple sections, the header\footer (as applicable) is linked to that in the previous Section.

    The document that I received had multiple Sections in it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Charles Kenyon 171.1K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2018-11-21T22:28:36+00:00

    This is simply a calculated page number and if placed in a header or footer it will update for each page.

    Remember, though, it is relying on the formatted page number. If you are restarting page numbering it starts the numbering over.

    You can use the following Add-In to make page numbering in your document continuous, regardless of current settings or section breaks.

    Continuous Page Numbering Add-In

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-11-21T19:15:12+00:00

    Sorry, reread your instructions again and got it to update page 1 as 22201.

    For the following pages however, it did not update this formula.  Would I just perform the same actions on each page of the document?  Meaning it wont update the header on each page with this formula so it calculates 22202, 22203, ... 22344?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments