Powerpoint export to PDF, transparent items flattened.

Anonymous
2018-11-06T23:26:30+00:00

Split from this thread.

Hi. I have exactly the same problem.

For examplee, I have a background graphic that has transparency setting 80%. When saving as PDF document, the background looks grey instead of white. 

80% Transparent background in PPT

The same slide when saves as PDF

Microsoft 365 and Office | PowerPoint | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2019-04-09T14:57:32+00:00

Hi TM,

Thank you for letting us know that the issue is resolved. For everyone else, you can update your MacOS to the latest version which is 10.14.4 to get the fix:

Download macOS Mojave 10.14.4 Update

Regards,

Sheen

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2019-01-22T18:48:26+00:00

    Um, please DON'T do that!

    Export or Print to PDF should not be used as just a way to bundle bitmaps into multiple page documents!

    If users want PDFs with giant bitmap images for each page, they can do those slide conversions with PPT themselves. Its a possible workaround on a user-by-user basis, but not an actual solution.

    In addition to blowing up the PDF file sizes and removing practically all of the PDF output options available; the quality of the output will then be dependent on the image DPI for quality.

    Please take the time and fix the transparency issue correctly. Text, drawing objects, embedded SVGs, etc. should remain as resolution independent. And transparency effects should not not have grey opaque backing.

    Thanks,

    • Ray

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-01-21T16:47:18+00:00

    I'm tearing my hair out with the same problem. I often use transparent TIFF images that look fine on screen, but when I try to print to Pdf (or Postscript) they take on an ugly gray look.

    I just tried printing from Office 2011 with no improvement.

    Oddly, when I export as images (e.g. Tiff or JPG) everything looks fine, so the problem looks like a simple fix for MS.  Before printing, just process each slide through the same code that makes images.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-01-08T08:03:05+00:00

    Hi Danila,

    The related team is actively looking into the issue. We're sorry that we do not have an ETA on when this will be fixed or more information, but we will continue to monitor the progress and let you know if there's an update.

    Regards,

    Sheen

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-01-07T16:13:21+00:00

    It's not solely an Apple issue, the problem occurs only with the Microsoft suite, it occurs in Word as well. When I export to PDF from other programs, it's fine. Are you saying it's up to the consumer to mediate between Apple and Microsoft? As noted by Ray in many posts above, the issue is on both sides. 

    Looking for a solution,

    Danila

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments