Display Problem with OneNote app

Anonymous
2018-10-15T23:23:57+00:00

I have a new Thinkpad P1 with the Nvidia P2000 Discrete Graphics card onboard. I have this following display/screen drawing issue with OneNote app (and only this app)

I have tried using the disableonenotehardwarerenderingx64 utility from Microsoft, but this did not resolve the issue.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks

David

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2019-06-13T12:24:31+00:00

Through my support request with Nvidia's Customer Help system (the link Rena provided), I was informed that the driver I had installed was no longer the latest version.

They referred me to the Quadro driver release #430, dated June 10, 2019.

I've only done a few tests, but it looks like the driver has addressed the issue.  I do not get the same video corruption in OneNote anymore.

Was this answer helpful?

4 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2019-06-03T06:26:24+00:00

Hi All,

Thanks for your effort and time on this case. We are sorry for the inconvenience the issue causes. We have reported and got the response from the related resource. However, it is still recommended to submit a bug report to Nvidia directly. I'd like to share a summary for the issue here which will benefit other community members.

Symptoms:

OneNote for Windows 10 app will have display issue if the computer is using Nvidia graphic card.

Environment:

The computer is running with Nvidia graphic card.

OneNote for Windows 10 app.

Workaround:

It seems that the issue only happens in OneNote for Windows 10 but not OneNote 2016. As a workaround, please refer to Install or reinstall OneNote 2016 for Windows for your need.

Assessment:

The issue is caused by the conflict between OneNote app and Nvidia graphic card. After confirming with the related resource, it is recommended to first submit a bug report to Nvidia directly here.

Sorry for the inconvenience. You can use the workaround mentioned above temporarily. If you still have any concern about this, you can go to OneNote for Windows 10 app > click the “…” collapse settings button on the right corner of the window > Feedback to post your feedback directly. We appreciate your understanding.

Best Regards,

Rena

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-11-20T05:48:54+00:00

    Hi Rena

    I have been able to do further testing. In the BIOS for the ThinkPad P1 there is an option for graphics for it to either be set as Hybrid Graphics (whereby the integrated Intel graphics and the discrete Nvidia graphics coexist) and just Discrete Graphics (whereby only the Nvidia graphics is used). The current setting in the BIOS is for the Hybrid Graphics. When the ThinkPad is not docked, that is just operating as a laptop, OneNote for Windows graphically behaves correctly. I can see that OneNote is using the integrated Intel graphics. However when the ThinkPad is docked (it is plugged into a Thunderbolt 3 dock which contains display port, HDMI, USB & USB-C ports) the ThinkPad only operates with the Nvidia graphics. There is no ability for OneNote to use the integrated Intel graphics. So it does appear to be a conflict between OneNote for Windows and the discrete Nvidia graphics/drivers. As mentioned earlier the Nvidia graphics card is a P2000 6Gb

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-11-20T23:14:50+00:00

    Hi David,

    Thanks for the information. This is very helpful.

    Is that possible to manually set back to Hybrid Graphics when the ThinkPad is docked? If so, it is a workaround at least.

    For the conflict issue, we would suggest you go to OneNote app settings > Feedback to post this directly to the OneNote team.

    Regards,

    Rena

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-02-01T17:18:55+00:00

    Hello, I just found this thread and wanted to report that I am having this exact same issue, with this exact same computer (Lenovo P1 with NVIDIA Quardro P2000 GPU).  I am also using the Lenovo thunderbolt dock, but my bios setting is to always use the NVIDIA GPU so the problem persists whether I am docked or not.  I really can't believe that there is a conflict between the NVIDIA card and OneNote, I'm not having any issues with any other apps.  Microsoft can you please help fix this problem with a OneNote update?  The app is totally unusable right now (looks exactly like the image in the original posting) and I have extensive notes that I need to access in OneNote.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments