Display Problem with OneNote app

Anonymous
2018-10-15T23:23:57+00:00

I have a new Thinkpad P1 with the Nvidia P2000 Discrete Graphics card onboard. I have this following display/screen drawing issue with OneNote app (and only this app)

I have tried using the disableonenotehardwarerenderingx64 utility from Microsoft, but this did not resolve the issue.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks

David

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2019-06-13T12:24:31+00:00

Through my support request with Nvidia's Customer Help system (the link Rena provided), I was informed that the driver I had installed was no longer the latest version.

They referred me to the Quadro driver release #430, dated June 10, 2019.

I've only done a few tests, but it looks like the driver has addressed the issue.  I do not get the same video corruption in OneNote anymore.

Was this answer helpful?

4 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2019-06-03T06:26:24+00:00

Hi All,

Thanks for your effort and time on this case. We are sorry for the inconvenience the issue causes. We have reported and got the response from the related resource. However, it is still recommended to submit a bug report to Nvidia directly. I'd like to share a summary for the issue here which will benefit other community members.

Symptoms:

OneNote for Windows 10 app will have display issue if the computer is using Nvidia graphic card.

Environment:

The computer is running with Nvidia graphic card.

OneNote for Windows 10 app.

Workaround:

It seems that the issue only happens in OneNote for Windows 10 but not OneNote 2016. As a workaround, please refer to Install or reinstall OneNote 2016 for Windows for your need.

Assessment:

The issue is caused by the conflict between OneNote app and Nvidia graphic card. After confirming with the related resource, it is recommended to first submit a bug report to Nvidia directly here.

Sorry for the inconvenience. You can use the workaround mentioned above temporarily. If you still have any concern about this, you can go to OneNote for Windows 10 app > click the “…” collapse settings button on the right corner of the window > Feedback to post your feedback directly. We appreciate your understanding.

Best Regards,

Rena

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-02-01T23:29:30+00:00

    I have also raised a support ticket with Lenovo as there is a fundamental problem that when the P1 is docked there is no access to the integrated graphics (Intel) only the Nvidia graphics can be accessed. In the Sydney Lenovo Support Centre, they don't have a P1 to test and they won't have one till the middle of February!

    I'm not sure if you have tried (but don't bother) to run the Microsoft registry hack which is meant to disable graphics hardware acceleration in OneNote UWP. It doesn't work. The only way I have been able to use OneNote UWP, is by running a USB-C cable from the Thunderbolt Dock into the external monitor (bypassing the DisplayPort). When I do this OneNote UWP displays correctly. I am assuming that by taking this approach OneNote UWP can access the integrated graphics. This won't solve your problem if you only run with the dedicated graphics.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-02-02T12:03:34+00:00

    Hi Drcnyc,

    Thanks for posting here and confirm the same scenario you have. For the conflict issue, we would suggest you go to OneNote app settings > Feedback to post this directly to the OneNote team. This is the efficient way to report such an issue and increase the business impact.

    You can also try David’s workaround before the issue fixed.

    @David,

    Thanks for sharing the information. This will benefit other members in the forum.

    Regards,

    Rena

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-03-04T18:27:48+00:00

    I am also having this problem with a Lenovo Thinkpad - in my case a P52 with the Nvidia P1000 graphics card. And it only occurs when displaying through the card. I have 2 monitors attached, one via HDMI and one via a Plugable 4k Video USB->HDMI converter. The main display via just the HDMI is having the problem. When moved to the external that runs off the Plugable USB->HDMI converter the appearance is as expected.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments