AUTOCORRECT-ONENOTE: FOR GODS SAKE PROVIDE AN OPTION TO TURN IT OFF!!

Anonymous
2019-01-26T16:06:04+00:00

Why, why was OneNote released without an option to turn autocorrect off?! This problem is now old enough, how was this not fixed? You essentially made OneNote completely useless, since it auto-"corrects" everything you want to type into something wrong. Why was this option removed from the new Versions of OneNote? How does it come that its not fixed by now?

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

51 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-07-10T12:54:46+00:00

    This is still an issue. I am able to get to Settings-->Options. There are options for Proofing (Hide Spelling Errors) and Autocorrect (Capitalize the first letter). Both are switched to Off. In fact, I switch everything in Options to Off. Still when I type "(C)" it converts it to the copyright symbol (TWICE!). OneNote has been around for years. How can it be Microsoft STILL has not provided an option to disable or change autocorrect options??? I am writing lyrics with chord symbols for playing guitar, and I put the chords in parentheses. The C chord is very common, so this comes up constantly. When are you going to fix this???

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-06-26T16:43:39+00:00

    I wanted to use OneNote at work to share some notes about how using a command line tool.

    Whenever I enter the -i option needed by a command, it is corrected as -I (which is a different option).

    I was hoping to use OneNote as a professional tool, but doesn't seem to be the the case, too bad.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-06-22T22:22:15+00:00

    Agreed. It wouldn't be such a big deal if it didn't "re-correct" things that I specifically went back and "un-corrected". I work in a field with a lot of acronyms, one of them being EHR. Currently, the only way to type that in OneNote is to type it, let OneNote "fix" it, then go back over and fix it again. If I backspace to change it back, OneNote "corrects" it again as soon as I finish re-typing it.

    I have the EXACT same problem with the EXACT same acronym (LOL) - electronic health record. Keeps changing it to HER. It gave me the ability to add ehr (lowercase) to my dictionary, but it does not underline EHR (capitalized) and and thus not give the ability to add to my dictionary. 

    Who makes the product decisions like this?

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-06-08T18:38:47+00:00

    Absolutely a non-response

    This is the single most frustrating issue I experience about the whole Windows & Office ecosystem.

    Every time I type revenue and tax (I'm an analyst) I get "revenu" and "taks".

    What an absolute joke. I've tried workarounds by messing through regedit and system32. To no avail.

    And it has been going on for years now. 

    Maddening. Fix.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-06-01T04:10:18+00:00

    It seems that you didn't read this thread. To summarize, everyone with the UWP version of OneNote has been facing the same issue and Microsoft doesn't bother to address it after an entire year of complaints as you can see on this thread. However, there are multiple solutions/workarounds that you can use. Read the comments above you to find them.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments