High CPU when using Word/Excel/OneNote and also online.

Anonymous
2018-04-01T23:46:55+00:00
  1. I am running Windows 7 (about to upgrade to Windows 10) and Office 365 from my university-> Office 2016 programs installed on my laptop
  2. If I am working on Word (or One Note or Excel) while connected to the internet (but not using Word Online  etc through my Office account), it starts chewing up CPU , lap top starts overheating and I have to shut program down.
  3. When I try close Word (or One Note or Excel) it will eventually close the window but the program keeps running until I stop it via Task Manager.
  4. This only happens if I am using an Office product - Word, One Note, Excel - when I am online (usually via mobile broadband)
  5. This has been happening for about two weeks after some auto update
  6. I have run virus checks, removed all add ons (there was only one), run repair, uninstalled and reinstalled Office.

This is infuriating as I often access online databases, library catalogues etc as I work. I now cannot work while online which basically means I cannot work at all and have to revert to Office 2007.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-04-04T05:40:49+00:00

    Hi Jerry,  

    I have uninstalled and reinstalled Office twice. I have also tried to install Windows 10 twice and have been unsuccessful. All of this has chewed up my limited monthly data allowance  - not to mention a lot of time -  so I can't do anything more except work offline or work with Office 2007. It is very, very disappointing. 

    Thanks.

    P.S. This is definitely  a problem since the last update.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-04-04T04:36:46+00:00

    Hi KathieXX,

    This seems to be an individual issue since we haven't get this kind report recently. I hope you can reinstall the Office client after Completely uninstall Office 2016 with the easy fix tool.

    If this issue still happens, as you said Windows 7 (about to upgrade to Windows 10), can you upgrade it, and check the running of Office 2016. Sometimes it is a solution for some factors that we do't know.

    Feel free to feedback here.

    Regards,

    Jerry

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-04-02T23:25:52+00:00

    Sadly yes, it still occurs in safe mode. 😕

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2018-04-02T23:08:14+00:00

    Does the problem still occur if you start Word in Safe Mode by holding down the CTRL key while starting it until asked to confirm that you want to start it in that mode?

    If not, see the section dealing with Add-Ins in the KnowledgeBase article "How to troubleshoot problems that occur when you start or use Word" at:

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/921541

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-04-02T11:56:39+00:00

    Hi Doug,

    I'm very confident that it's not a hardware problem because

    1. It only happens when I'm using office products,  only when I'm online;  offline is fine.  It's the combination of working with the product while connected to the internet that seems problematic 
    2.  it does not happen when I use other software while I am online including Microsoft software like Wordpad
    3. I have been using Office 365 for about 3 years and Word never goes up as high as 30 CPU much less keeps climbing and climbing and climbing as it is doing now

    I have never let it get past 60  but it has spiked up to 90 to 100, and it never freezes as CPU incrrsses like  it does now

    1.  The problem is fairly recent

    Thanks  for your suggestion anyway. I appreciate  you taking the time to answer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments