High CPU when using Word/Excel/OneNote and also online.

Anonymous
2018-04-01T23:46:55+00:00
  1. I am running Windows 7 (about to upgrade to Windows 10) and Office 365 from my university-> Office 2016 programs installed on my laptop
  2. If I am working on Word (or One Note or Excel) while connected to the internet (but not using Word Online  etc through my Office account), it starts chewing up CPU , lap top starts overheating and I have to shut program down.
  3. When I try close Word (or One Note or Excel) it will eventually close the window but the program keeps running until I stop it via Task Manager.
  4. This only happens if I am using an Office product - Word, One Note, Excel - when I am online (usually via mobile broadband)
  5. This has been happening for about two weeks after some auto update
  6. I have run virus checks, removed all add ons (there was only one), run repair, uninstalled and reinstalled Office.

This is infuriating as I often access online databases, library catalogues etc as I work. I now cannot work while online which basically means I cannot work at all and have to revert to Office 2007.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-04-11T14:00:32+00:00

    Hello Tisky

    It auto updated to version 1803 (Build 9126.211y Click-to-Run) a few days ago. No change. Office 365 is unusable if I am connected to the internet  (it doesn't  just hog CPU, the apps begin to run more slowly until they freeze). 

    I have  been using Office 365 without drama for about 3 years. All updates are auto initiated. This problem started about a month ago.

    Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-04-11T09:15:43+00:00

    Hi Kathie,

    We deeply understand the inconvenience the problem has brought to you.

    After gone through the thread, I'd like to sum up your scenario, when you connect to the internet, your Office applications cost over 30 CPU and sometimes they spikes up to 90 to 100.

    Meanwhile, you mentioned that you are using Office 1802 (9029.2253) version which is not the latest version of Office, have you tried update to the latest version 1803 (9126.2116)? If the problem still persists, would you please confirm since when you encounter the problem, is the problem happen just when you start using Office  2016?

    Best regards,

    Tisky

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-04-10T23:03:43+00:00

    Hi Jerry,

    Nope. Still the same. Office 365 is unusable if I am connected to the internet. So unusable for my needs. It has now chewed up my monthly data allowance in 2 weeks thanks to all the diwnlosds, reinstalls etc.. So it is also gping to cost  me heaps of $$$ this month.  I'm over it.

    Thanks for your suggestions anyway!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-04-10T22:52:56+00:00

    Hi KathieXX,

    Does the CPU usage calm down or not now?

    Feel free to tell us result.

    Regards,

    Jerry

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-04-04T10:24:36+00:00

    Hi KathieXX,

    Since this issue still exists, so you may need more powerful tools to detect this issue.

    I'd like you can try use the Microsoft Office Configuration Analyzer Tool 2.2  to see the where is the issue.And try performing clean boot. 

    In additon, please update you Office to the latest version and check if this issue still exists.

    If you have any further questions at this time, please feel free to contact me.

    Regards,

    Jerry

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments