High CPU when using Word/Excel/OneNote and also online.

Anonymous
2018-04-01T23:46:55+00:00
  1. I am running Windows 7 (about to upgrade to Windows 10) and Office 365 from my university-> Office 2016 programs installed on my laptop
  2. If I am working on Word (or One Note or Excel) while connected to the internet (but not using Word Online  etc through my Office account), it starts chewing up CPU , lap top starts overheating and I have to shut program down.
  3. When I try close Word (or One Note or Excel) it will eventually close the window but the program keeps running until I stop it via Task Manager.
  4. This only happens if I am using an Office product - Word, One Note, Excel - when I am online (usually via mobile broadband)
  5. This has been happening for about two weeks after some auto update
  6. I have run virus checks, removed all add ons (there was only one), run repair, uninstalled and reinstalled Office.

This is infuriating as I often access online databases, library catalogues etc as I work. I now cannot work while online which basically means I cannot work at all and have to revert to Office 2007.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-05-16T22:47:57+00:00

    Hi Tisky,

    As advised, I won't be creating a new account until next week. I can't afford to have anything go wrong this week. I don't understand why everything worked fine for 3 years and now I need to be mucking around with all sorts of work arounds. I have not loaded any new software (except stuff you've asked me to). This problem started after a Microsoft update.

    Thanks for your patience.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-05-16T22:38:40+00:00

    Hi Kathie,

    Would you please confirm whether the problem happens in the newly created user account?

    Regards,

    Tisky

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-05-16T16:59:23+00:00

    Just to let you know in the interim:

    My high CPU is back again. And it does eventually freeze everything.

    I only have (my licensed) Word 2007 installed - it came with the lap top when I bought it - and I will not uninstall it as I need it for work especially as Office 365 is now a nightmare.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-05-16T01:12:51+00:00

    Tisky I have some urgent deadlines this week so I will get back to you next week.

    Thanks for your patience

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-05-11T07:31:37+00:00

    Hi Kathie,

    Have you tried the suggestion above? Please confirm the information with us.

    Regards,

    Tisky

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments