High CPU when using Word/Excel/OneNote and also online.

Anonymous
2018-04-01T23:46:55+00:00
  1. I am running Windows 7 (about to upgrade to Windows 10) and Office 365 from my university-> Office 2016 programs installed on my laptop
  2. If I am working on Word (or One Note or Excel) while connected to the internet (but not using Word Online  etc through my Office account), it starts chewing up CPU , lap top starts overheating and I have to shut program down.
  3. When I try close Word (or One Note or Excel) it will eventually close the window but the program keeps running until I stop it via Task Manager.
  4. This only happens if I am using an Office product - Word, One Note, Excel - when I am online (usually via mobile broadband)
  5. This has been happening for about two weeks after some auto update
  6. I have run virus checks, removed all add ons (there was only one), run repair, uninstalled and reinstalled Office.

This is infuriating as I often access online databases, library catalogues etc as I work. I now cannot work while online which basically means I cannot work at all and have to revert to Office 2007.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-04-26T15:51:19+00:00

    Hi Tisky,

    And I appreciate your help.

    See message reply!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-04-26T15:34:10+00:00

    Hi Kathie,

    Thanks for the fiddler log in the private message. While for the further troubleshooting, would you please also provide the ULS log in Private Message to us?

    We appreciate your cooperation.

    Tisky

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-04-25T08:52:13+00:00

    Log file uploaded.

    I give up.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-04-25T08:07:10+00:00

    I spoke too soon today I've been working with word while connected to the internet and while the CPU is not increasing everything  slowly froze and now it's taking forever just to save a document and get out I will try and do a log for you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-04-24T16:02:51+00:00

    Hi Kathie,

    Glad to hear that the problem didn't happen since the latest update, you don't need to provide the log files unless the problem happens again.

    Regards,

    Tisky

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments