PowerPoint stretches each slide when presenting on the iMac display

Anonymous
2018-09-21T16:55:25+00:00

Split from this thread.

Hi Eli.

I tried that solution myself, and Powerpoint only showed the lower left quadrant of the slides when displaying on the iMac monitor!

And after doing the full deep uninstall and reinstall of Office 365, it still stretches each slide when presenting on the iMac display.

So I still have that issue on a newly made presentation as well as older ones.

thanks -h

Microsoft 365 and Office | PowerPoint | For business | MacOS

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-09-28T06:33:25+00:00

Hi All,

Thanks for all your feedback! We have involved more resources to check this issue and will share the updates once available. Here I would like to provide a summary so that other community members can easily identify the symptoms.

Symptoms:

PowerPoint stretches each slide when presenting on the 27-inch iMac 5K display (5120x2880 resolution) after upgrading to 16.17.

Workaround:

Go to System Preferences > Display > switch from “Default for Display” to “Scaled” > then select “Larger Text”

Assessment:

Please update the Office to the latest version to get the fix.

Thanks again for all your feedback to help us improve our services and products.

Regards,

Rena

[Updated by Rena Yu MSFT, 08:16 AM Jan 18, 2019(UTC)]

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-10-10T07:52:11+00:00

    Hi Nathan,

    Thanks for confirming that the issue doesn't happen when you show presentation on MBP with 2560x1600 resolution. Therefore, the issue you have seems only happen to 5K monitor that the resolution equal or higher than 2560x1440. I will check again with our colleague whether our test result was got from 5K monitor or not.

    I would also like to know whether setting display from "default display" to "scale" can also work by your side as a workaround? 

    Any other updates will be post as well.

    Thanks,

    Rena

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-10-09T12:02:06+00:00

    Hi Rena,

    I don't have another monitor that gets up to 2560x1440 that isn't 5K....1440p resolution isn't exactly common outside of 4K/5K monitors. Sorry. 

    But I can tell you that if I swap displays and make my MBP the presentation screen and my 5K monitor the presenter view screen, this doesn't happen -- even if I up the resolution on my MBP to 2560x1600.

    Could this be something that's caused because the the monitor is 16x9 aspect ratio and the MBP is 16x10? Just throwing things out there that I've noticed while trying to get to the bottom of this. 

    NOTE: The 16.18 (build 180926) update did not correct the problem for me.

    Best,

    Nathan

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-10-05T21:46:13+00:00

    Hi DrN8PhD,

    Thanks for confirming that.

    Do you have another display monitor that is not 5K? Does is support 2560X1440 resolution? If so, can you help to confirm whether the issue can be reproduced on that monitor that is not 5K but with 2560X1440 resolution?

    Thanks,

    Rena

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-10-04T23:00:58+00:00

    I mean slide aspect ratio of 16x9.

    I have a monitor control app that gives me full control of the monitor resolution...so i can pick just about anything you want on my 5K monitor.  Any resolution below 2560x1440 works fine; anything equal or greater results in slide stretching during the fade transition. Additionally, i think the distance the slide stretches increases as the resolution increases - but thats anectdotal.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments