error: citation/ bibliography is wrongly placed in index area, please delete the placed citation/ bibliography in index area

Anonymous
2018-12-10T16:43:04+00:00

Hello community,

I am having problems with word and/ or mendeley. It keeps showing me the following error: "citation/ bibliography is wrongly placed in index area, please delete the placed citation/ bibliography in index area" when trying to edit or insert a citation.

any suggestions on how to solve the problem?

Kind Regards,

Eva

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-12-18T19:17:06+00:00

I had the same problem, just after the update - immediately after the update.

I wasn't having any citation highlighted, but rather a Prism graph. I took someone's advice and turned on field code by pressing alt+F9. I found this bit of code: "{ ADDIN }" appended to the end of the field code for my embedded graph. Once I deleted that item the document became functional again. I just replicated the same fix in a backup version of the file I had made, it really is just that piece of code.

It looks like there are other pieces of code containing "ADDIN", based on a ctl+f search, one for each of my citations. But this { ADDIN } was the only one that was sitting alone, with nothing else in its curly braces. 

So here are the steps: 

  1. Hit ALT+F9
  2. Search for ADDIN (I didn't get a result for { ADDIN, only the letters themselves worked)
  3. Delete the search result that is { ADDIN } alone
  4. Try to refresh your bibliography to see if it's fixed!

Was this answer helpful?

500+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-12-14T11:05:17+00:00

I managed to correct the error. Hope it will help others.

Every time I received the window with an error, Word was pointing on a particular piece of text with some citation that has a mistake (too bad it's not highlighted). You need to identify which citation is corrupted and delete it (just copy different parts of your text into a new word document + compile bibliography again, so that way you can eliminate the corrupted citation).

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-02-23T12:40:30+00:00

    Thanks a ton! Would never have figured it out!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-02-19T09:18:36+00:00

    Hello

    To cope with this problem, easily save the word to a plan text; sequentially, open it with Microsoft Word. I hope this guide be useful to whom which had such a problem.

    regards.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-02-18T15:20:35+00:00

    Every time I open a word document, the following error: "citation/ bibliography is wrongly placed in index area, please delete the placed citation/ bibliography in index area" popped up. 

    I fixed this by removing Mendeley MS word plugin (Open Mendeley Desktop --> Tools --> Remove MS Word Plugin). I normally use Zotero to manage my citations. Mendeley MS word plugin is not necessary for me.

    Hope this would be helpful.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments