PowerPoint 2016 - Reuse Slides, cannot browse for files

Anonymous
2019-02-06T22:19:28+00:00

Hello,

I'm having a problem for one user in our organization.  When using PowerPoint 2016 (Office 365) we are not able to browse to a file when using the Reuse Slides function.  The pop-up window appears to be only looking for PowerPoint files on the local computer, SharePoint, and One Drive. I'm not sure if this is an issue with the fetch file function or not.  Below are a few points of interest.

1.  This is only happening with a single user on the computer.  Other users can log in and use the function without issues.

2.  Starting PowerPoint in Safe Mode appears to resolve the problem.  However, disabling all add-ons does not affect the problem.

3.  For the affected user there is an additional "Reuse Slides" button on the ribbon, next to the "New Slide" button, that is not present for other users or in safe mode.

4.  This "Reuse Slides" button cannot be removed from the ribbon.  

Any information would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Microsoft 365 and Office | PowerPoint | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2019-03-12T20:02:23+00:00

This is the solution that worked for us.  I have not seen it posted yet so wanted to share:

Disable the below options:​

a.     File --> Options --> General --> Office Intelligent Services​

b.    File --> Options --> General --> Automatically show me design ideas.​

c.     File --> Options --> Trust Center --> Trust Center settings --> Privacy options --> Let Office connect to online Services from Microsoft to provide functionality that's relevant to your usage and preferences. ​

You might have to close powerpoint / reopen after the settings are in place... 

Testing after this and using the Reuse slides option from New Slides dropdown show the Browse option in the Search Bar. ​​

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-02-11T15:00:44+00:00

    I would still suspect an AddIn. How are you disabling ALL AddIns.

    If ppam AddIns are registered in the HKLM hive they are difficult to find and disable.

    John,

    That is my "gut feeling" as well.  I disabled the add-ins by navigating to File>Options>Add-Ins, selecting each category from the "Manage" drop-down at the bottom, and disabling each add-in I could find that was active. It's possible there still may be something that's stuck in there.  Thanks for the suggestion. Perhaps I'll attempt to completely uninstall each add-in, one at a time, and see if I can find an offender.

    Jeff

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-02-11T16:01:12+00:00

    This Page will help you find hidden AddIns and/or possible registry entries that are trying to load them.

    http://www.pptalchemy.co.uk/PowerPoint_AddIns_Installed.html

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-02-12T06:54:21+00:00

    Hi Jeff,

    Thanks for your reply.

    Sorry for the wrong screenshot.

    My previous screenshot is test in Office Insider and I can open presentations from local and online location.

    But when I test in the latest version of Monthly Channel, I can only browse presentation from local:

    It doesn't have an option to browse the presentations in OneDrive or SharePoint directly.

    But you can use OneDrive sync client to sync files in OneDrive for Business and SharePoint down and you will get a OneDrive sync folder in local drive, you can also browse files in OneDrive sync folder.

    It seems that the feature is only available to Insider users. You may sill need to check the version of Office of the user and share it with me.

    Best Regards,

    Gloria

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-02-19T15:55:52+00:00

    Gloria,

    The first screen shot you shared is exactly the problem!  Do you notice how the "Browse" button is not available on the picture with the darker background?  That's the same behavior we are experiencing with this user.  The second screen shot you shared, the one WITH the browse button is the behavior that's SUPPOSED to be there and IS there for everyone else.  The problem isn't that I can't browse to OneDrive or SharePoint, the problem is I can't browse to ANYWHERE. As a matter of fact, on the problem machine I have a thumbnail preview of every slide on the local machine, just none of the slides I wish to find on a network drive.  Hope this helps!

    Jeff

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments