PowerPoint 2016 - Reuse Slides, cannot browse for files

Anonymous
2019-02-06T22:19:28+00:00

Hello,

I'm having a problem for one user in our organization.  When using PowerPoint 2016 (Office 365) we are not able to browse to a file when using the Reuse Slides function.  The pop-up window appears to be only looking for PowerPoint files on the local computer, SharePoint, and One Drive. I'm not sure if this is an issue with the fetch file function or not.  Below are a few points of interest.

1.  This is only happening with a single user on the computer.  Other users can log in and use the function without issues.

2.  Starting PowerPoint in Safe Mode appears to resolve the problem.  However, disabling all add-ons does not affect the problem.

3.  For the affected user there is an additional "Reuse Slides" button on the ribbon, next to the "New Slide" button, that is not present for other users or in safe mode.

4.  This "Reuse Slides" button cannot be removed from the ribbon.  

Any information would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Microsoft 365 and Office | PowerPoint | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2019-03-12T20:02:23+00:00

This is the solution that worked for us.  I have not seen it posted yet so wanted to share:

Disable the below options:​

a.     File --> Options --> General --> Office Intelligent Services​

b.    File --> Options --> General --> Automatically show me design ideas.​

c.     File --> Options --> Trust Center --> Trust Center settings --> Privacy options --> Let Office connect to online Services from Microsoft to provide functionality that's relevant to your usage and preferences. ​

You might have to close powerpoint / reopen after the settings are in place... 

Testing after this and using the Reuse slides option from New Slides dropdown show the Browse option in the Search Bar. ​​

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-03-01T19:50:10+00:00

    I was working on many projects today- I did this in 8 presentations and it worked as it always had- until I got to presentation #9- and now I see the same thing you have described- an extra Reuse Slides button on the ribbon and only a list of local presentations in the pane- no option to browse. I cannot even see files on my D drive.

    Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus Version 19.01 (build 11231.20174 Click-to-Run)

    That is the version I am working on as well.  To make things stranger, I can browse on the computer with PPT same version in my office, but not on another computer five feet away. The only solution I've found is to disconnect from internet - which is easy on my laptop but not an easy task on my two desktop computers at work/school.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-03-01T19:18:37+00:00

    I was working on many projects today- I did this in 8 presentations and it worked as it always had- until I got to presentation #9- and now I see the same thing you have described- an extra Reuse Slides button on the ribbon and only a list of local presentations in the pane- no option to browse. I cannot even see files on my D drive.

    Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus Version 19.01 (build 11231.20174 Click-to-Run)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-02-28T22:29:56+00:00

    Hi Donabeth,

    Thanks for your reply.

    I test in version 1901 Build 11231.20174 and I am able to click browse to open presentations from local drive.

    As Jeff mentioned before, the issue doesn't happen in safe mode, you can also try the safe mode to see the result.

    If the issue doesn't happen in safe mode from your side either, please try disabling add-ins to see if it helps.

    @Jeff, could you please also share your Office product information and version with me so that I can test from my side?

    Best Regards,

    Gloria

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-02-27T18:08:07+00:00

    I am running Microsoft Office 365 Business, Version 1901 (Build 11231.20174 Click-to-Run).

    The repair and uninstall did not help.

    Donabeth Urick

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments