PowerPoint 2016 - Reuse Slides, cannot browse for files

Anonymous
2019-02-06T22:19:28+00:00

Hello,

I'm having a problem for one user in our organization.  When using PowerPoint 2016 (Office 365) we are not able to browse to a file when using the Reuse Slides function.  The pop-up window appears to be only looking for PowerPoint files on the local computer, SharePoint, and One Drive. I'm not sure if this is an issue with the fetch file function or not.  Below are a few points of interest.

1.  This is only happening with a single user on the computer.  Other users can log in and use the function without issues.

2.  Starting PowerPoint in Safe Mode appears to resolve the problem.  However, disabling all add-ons does not affect the problem.

3.  For the affected user there is an additional "Reuse Slides" button on the ribbon, next to the "New Slide" button, that is not present for other users or in safe mode.

4.  This "Reuse Slides" button cannot be removed from the ribbon.  

Any information would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Microsoft 365 and Office | PowerPoint | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2019-03-12T20:02:23+00:00

This is the solution that worked for us.  I have not seen it posted yet so wanted to share:

Disable the below options:​

a.     File --> Options --> General --> Office Intelligent Services​

b.    File --> Options --> General --> Automatically show me design ideas.​

c.     File --> Options --> Trust Center --> Trust Center settings --> Privacy options --> Let Office connect to online Services from Microsoft to provide functionality that's relevant to your usage and preferences. ​

You might have to close powerpoint / reopen after the settings are in place... 

Testing after this and using the Reuse slides option from New Slides dropdown show the Browse option in the Search Bar. ​​

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2019-05-16T12:42:59+00:00

    This is the solution that worked for us.  I have not seen it posted yet so wanted to share:

    Disable the below options:​

    a.     File --> Options --> General --> Office Intelligent Services​

    b.    File --> Options --> General --> Automatically show me design ideas.​

    c.     File --> Options --> Trust Center --> Trust Center settings --> Privacy options --> Let Office connect to online Services from Microsoft to provide functionality that's relevant to your usage and preferences. ​

    You might have to close powerpoint / reopen after the settings are in place... 

    Testing after this and using the Reuse slides option from New Slides dropdown show the Browse option in the Search Bar. ​​

    This never worked for me so not the "Answer".  What worked for me was switching to the Monthly Channel and upgrading to version 1904.  Once I did that, I logged out then logged back in and it worked.  I still have the button available and it works great.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-05-16T10:43:57+00:00

    This is once again broken after a new update and the above solution does not work since they simply removed them from the menues....!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-05-14T21:19:51+00:00

    Thank you for this detailed "fix". It worked as expected on version 1903 ... However, it was broken once again with the version 1904 update, AND this fix no longer works for v.1904. Specifically, Version 1904 (Build 11601.20178)

    The noticeable change is in step C. above. The 'Privacy Options' area has changed and the check box listed above no longer exists. I tried deselecting the "Enable optional connected experiences" check box under the new Privacy Settings button ... but this did not work.

    Please provide a workaround to enable the Browse button in the Reuse Slides tool pane in version 1904. Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-02-08T13:52:02+00:00

    Hi Jeff,

    Here is an article for your reference: Reuse (import) slides from another presentation

    The Reuse is just next New Slide.

    When I search in Reuse Slides, I can get files on this PC and files on OneDrive & SharePoint.

    When I open the PowerPoint in safe mode, the button disappears.

    To better understand your situation and provide help for you, please help confirm some information:

    1. Please capture a screenshot of the Office product name and version of the user refer to this article: What version of Office am I using?
    2. When I open the reuse slides, I can see the recent PowerPoint files, can he/she opens the recent ones?
    3. Can the user see the files in reuse slides? If so, what will happen if the user click the files?

    Best Regards,

    Gloria

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments