Excel 2016 - open all files in ONE instance

Anonymous
2018-06-26T15:30:02+00:00

Hello,

I have a problem with my Excel 2016 (16.0.10228.20051 32-bit):

I have one Excel instance running. (N.B. - the "Ignore other applications that use Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE)" checkbox in Advanced Options is NOT checked.) What I need is - for all Excel files that I am about to open to open in my first and only Excel instanc e, always, and regardless of:

  • how many files I open simultaneously,
  • where the files are located (i.e. on local drive or on OneDrive so the system needs to download them before opening)

 and including when opening Excel files from other Office apps, i.e. Outlook attachments.

The behavior that I've been seeing in Excel 2016 is, at best, inconsistent:

  1. When opening multiple additional files at once from disk (select multiple files/right-click/Open) - it opens the first n files in the first Excel instance, but then from n+1 file it starts opening them in a new instance.
  2. A variation of the above is when in my first and only Excel instance I have a workbook open in XLSTART folder. Then upon opening multiple files at once, when it reaches it's n+1 file and the new instance launches and tries to open the file in XLSTART folder again, but it is already open in the first instance, so the warning message saying "this file is already open" (or something like that) shows up and files n+2, n+3, n+4, etc. till the last one, will all try to open in a separate instance, each triggering the same warning message.

I'd like to state at this point that this is not file specific, the file n+1 is usually a different file every time.

Also, I am aware of the workaround (i.e. dragging files onto open Excel window) and I am using it - the above is to demonstrate the symptoms I've been experiencing.

  1. When generating Excel files by another application (call it AppX) - you might say that this is likely the AppX's issue - I have no means to verify this unfortunately, however, the randomness of the new instances launching in this case is similar to all other scenarios described here, so I doubt the cause is my AppX.
  2. Finally, when opening Excel files from Outlook email attachments - i.e. double-clicking an Excel attachment in Outlook's reading pane - it may open it in the first Excel instance, but may also decide to open it in a new one. From my testing, if the Excel's file previewer is disabled at that point (i.e. listed under Options/Add-Ins/Manage - Disabled Items) it will most likely open the attachment in a new instance.

So that's my observations, hope it helps to shed some light on the issue. I know how to open files in a new instance if I want it. The problem is, it happens when I don't want it and in some cases, I don't seem to have any control over this.

Thanks,

J.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-07-03T07:33:33+00:00

    Hi J,

    Thanks for your update.

    According to our test, when we open files which are protected or read-only (in this case because they are locked for editing), they will be opened in new instances.

    For example, when we open file A, B, C, D, E, file C is read-only, then we will get three instances: file A and B in one instance, file C in one instance, file D and E in one instance.

    Please let me confirm with you why your files are locked for editing. Is someone else editing them, or are you using something to prevent them from opening in edit mode directly?

    Best Regards,

    Gloria

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-06-30T17:51:12+00:00

    Hi Gloria,

    Yes, I have some of my document libraries synced with OneDrive.

    It makes no difference though. See the gif below showing the issue affecting files stored locally all the same.

    Thanks,

    J.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-06-30T14:56:46+00:00

    Hi J,

    Thanks for the detailed information.

    We find that there is sync status column in your folder, we would like to confirm if you have Redirected Windows known folders to OneDrive.

    If so, we may need some time to do the test for you.

    Best Regards,

    Gloria

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-06-29T16:56:33+00:00

    Here's what the result of dragging 10 files onto an open Excel window looks like (all files open in the first Excel instance - as expected)

    And here are the same 10 files opened with a double-click - they open each in a new Excel instance (watch the new instances popping up in Task Manager window) triggering the "file in use" error.

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-06-29T15:25:04+00:00

    Hi Gloria,

    Thanks for looking into this. Yes, the issue is still very much here. I've actually re-imaged my machine yesterday only to experience the same issue in the new system.

    To answer your questions:

    1. See my initial post for version ID. After re-imaging, I am using Office 16.0.10228.20080 32-bit - in which I continue to experience the same issue.
    2. It depends:
    • when opening multiple files at once (i.e. 11 files) 4-5 files will open in the first instance, before new instance gets launched for the remaining files.
    • for opening xlsx Outlook attachments, it can be as early as the first file (i.e. Excel running with one file open, double-clicking Outlook attachment launches new instance).

    Additionally, I recorded the problem related to opening xlsx attachments from Outlook in a gif file below.

    I start from un-hiding my personal macro workbook, so that you can see there are no other files open. Then I attempt to open Outlook attachment by double-clicking on it. It looks like it takes Excel a few seconds to react - perhaps this is useful in identifying the cause of the issue. And as you can see, it launches the file in new instance. See more comments below.

    Regarding your other comments:

    Safe mode - not sure why this was suggested, none of my Office apps want to launch while Windows is in safe mode (see below).

    XLSTART folde r - I'm sorry if that wasn't clear in my initial post. Let me explain it better. This isn't about opening multiple files from XLSTART folder. It's about opening multiple files (from any folder) when in my first and only Excel instance a file that sits in XLSTART folder is currently open (i.e. my personal macro workbook). In this example, the moment the 2nd instance launches and generates the "File in use" dialog box, every remaining file will launch a new instance for itself, each generating the same dialog box.

    Example:

    My Excel is running (one instance only) and my personal macro workbook (located in XLSTART folder) is open in it. Now, I want o open 11 .xlsx files at once. I go to the folder with my files (i.e. C:\Users\Me\Documents), select all 11 files, right-click one and press Open. My files begin to open. Files 1-4 all open in my first Excel instance, but, for some reason, file #5 launches a new instance. The new instance tries to open my personal macro workbook in XLSTART folder, but it is already open in my first instance. So the "File in use" warning message pops-up in the 2nd instance and awaits my input/selection. Meanwhile, file #6 wants to open. I can only assume that it tries to use the 2nd instance, but because the 2nd instance is awaiting my input, it launches a 3rd instance. The third instance attempts to open my personal macro workbook in XLSTART folder and generates the same warning message. Then file #7 wants to open and it goes through the same cycle of launching new instance because the last one awaits user input and triggering the below warning message.  At the end of this loop, I have 8 Excel instances open, 1st one has my personal macro workbook and files 1-4 open, and instances 2nd through 8th are displaying "File in Use" warning message.

    Hope this is all clear now, let me know if not.

    Thanks,

    J.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments