A family of Microsoft spreadsheet software with tools for analyzing, charting, and communicating data.
Hi J,
The issue is now in investigation process.
Thank you for your patience.
Best Regards,
Gloria
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Hello,
I have a problem with my Excel 2016 (16.0.10228.20051 32-bit):
I have one Excel instance running. (N.B. - the "Ignore other applications that use Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE)" checkbox in Advanced Options is NOT checked.) What I need is - for all Excel files that I am about to open to open in my first and only Excel instanc e, always, and regardless of:
and including when opening Excel files from other Office apps, i.e. Outlook attachments.
The behavior that I've been seeing in Excel 2016 is, at best, inconsistent:
I'd like to state at this point that this is not file specific, the file n+1 is usually a different file every time.
Also, I am aware of the workaround (i.e. dragging files onto open Excel window) and I am using it - the above is to demonstrate the symptoms I've been experiencing.
So that's my observations, hope it helps to shed some light on the issue. I know how to open files in a new instance if I want it. The problem is, it happens when I don't want it and in some cases, I don't seem to have any control over this.
Thanks,
J.
A family of Microsoft spreadsheet software with tools for analyzing, charting, and communicating data.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Hi J,
The issue is now in investigation process.
Thank you for your patience.
Best Regards,
Gloria
Hi Gloria,
Thanks for acknowledging that the problem exists. I look forward to your findings and, more importantly, a resolution of this issue.
Kind regards,
J.
Hi J,
Thanks for your feedback.
First we would suggest you update your Office to the latest version: File> Account> Update Options> Update Now.
I have done the test as you mentioned, following are the result:
(Three emails contain newly-created xlsx files attached and the files are not protected or set to read-only.)
Note: When I open the attachments, they are convert to protected view automatically.
We can’t confirm the rules that makes Excel open one instance or another instance.
We need some time to do some investigations and if there is any update, we will reply to you as soon as possible.
Thanks for your understanding.
Best Regards,
Gloria
Hi Gloria,
Sorry for this delay.
The test files I used to demonstrate the problem were NOT protected, read-only or locked for editing. I believe it should be quite clear from the first gif file I shared on June 29th (second post - i.e. dragging files onto open Excel window). If these files were locked for editing then they would have opened, a) with a yellow bar under formula bar saying that the file is locked, etc., or b) if what you are saying in your post from 3rd July were true, they would have opened in multiple instances - but they didn't.
As for any regular, non-test files that I normally work with, they are very rarely read-only or locked for editing, so I am quite sure that the issue is NOT caused by read-only files.
Here's another test I've done in the meantime:
Thanks,
J.
Hi J,
Is there any update?
Best Regards,
Gloria