A family of Microsoft spreadsheet software with tools for analyzing, charting, and communicating data.
Hi J,
Does the issue persist?
Please let us know if you need further help.
Best Regards,
Gloria
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Hello,
I have a problem with my Excel 2016 (16.0.10228.20051 32-bit):
I have one Excel instance running. (N.B. - the "Ignore other applications that use Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE)" checkbox in Advanced Options is NOT checked.) What I need is - for all Excel files that I am about to open to open in my first and only Excel instanc e, always, and regardless of:
and including when opening Excel files from other Office apps, i.e. Outlook attachments.
The behavior that I've been seeing in Excel 2016 is, at best, inconsistent:
I'd like to state at this point that this is not file specific, the file n+1 is usually a different file every time.
Also, I am aware of the workaround (i.e. dragging files onto open Excel window) and I am using it - the above is to demonstrate the symptoms I've been experiencing.
So that's my observations, hope it helps to shed some light on the issue. I know how to open files in a new instance if I want it. The problem is, it happens when I don't want it and in some cases, I don't seem to have any control over this.
Thanks,
J.
A family of Microsoft spreadsheet software with tools for analyzing, charting, and communicating data.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Hi J,
Does the issue persist?
Please let us know if you need further help.
Best Regards,
Gloria
Hi J,
In Microsoft Excel 2013 and later versions, when you open multiple spreadsheets, they all open in the same instance of Excel.
I have tested the situations you listed except the AppX one from my side, and the result is that all the files open in the same instance instead of opening each one in a new instance.
Please start your PC in safe mode to see the result.
To better understand your situation and provide help for you, please confirm the information below:
Best Regards,
Gloria