Excel 2016 - open all files in ONE instance

Anonymous
2018-06-26T15:30:02+00:00

Hello,

I have a problem with my Excel 2016 (16.0.10228.20051 32-bit):

I have one Excel instance running. (N.B. - the "Ignore other applications that use Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE)" checkbox in Advanced Options is NOT checked.) What I need is - for all Excel files that I am about to open to open in my first and only Excel instanc e, always, and regardless of:

  • how many files I open simultaneously,
  • where the files are located (i.e. on local drive or on OneDrive so the system needs to download them before opening)

 and including when opening Excel files from other Office apps, i.e. Outlook attachments.

The behavior that I've been seeing in Excel 2016 is, at best, inconsistent:

  1. When opening multiple additional files at once from disk (select multiple files/right-click/Open) - it opens the first n files in the first Excel instance, but then from n+1 file it starts opening them in a new instance.
  2. A variation of the above is when in my first and only Excel instance I have a workbook open in XLSTART folder. Then upon opening multiple files at once, when it reaches it's n+1 file and the new instance launches and tries to open the file in XLSTART folder again, but it is already open in the first instance, so the warning message saying "this file is already open" (or something like that) shows up and files n+2, n+3, n+4, etc. till the last one, will all try to open in a separate instance, each triggering the same warning message.

I'd like to state at this point that this is not file specific, the file n+1 is usually a different file every time.

Also, I am aware of the workaround (i.e. dragging files onto open Excel window) and I am using it - the above is to demonstrate the symptoms I've been experiencing.

  1. When generating Excel files by another application (call it AppX) - you might say that this is likely the AppX's issue - I have no means to verify this unfortunately, however, the randomness of the new instances launching in this case is similar to all other scenarios described here, so I doubt the cause is my AppX.
  2. Finally, when opening Excel files from Outlook email attachments - i.e. double-clicking an Excel attachment in Outlook's reading pane - it may open it in the first Excel instance, but may also decide to open it in a new one. From my testing, if the Excel's file previewer is disabled at that point (i.e. listed under Options/Add-Ins/Manage - Disabled Items) it will most likely open the attachment in a new instance.

So that's my observations, hope it helps to shed some light on the issue. I know how to open files in a new instance if I want it. The problem is, it happens when I don't want it and in some cases, I don't seem to have any control over this.

Thanks,

J.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2019-06-04T13:10:56+00:00

    I wish to point out one more issue with multiple instances of excel.

    When we open multiple files in a single instance, the ribbon on top is spread on the entire screen and multiple files are open. It is so easy to work when most of the ribbons are visible in a single screen

    But when we open multiple instances, this is how the ribbon looks

    It is so cumberome to work in excel when I open 4 files and it opens in four instances.

    Q - why do you want them all in the same process?

    A - multiple reasons, but here are my top four:

    1. to have full copy&paste functionality between workbooks - it's not possible to paste special (values, formulas, etc.) between workbooks open in different instances.
    2. to be able to utilize multiple existing macros we've built at work over the years which rely on workbooks being open in the same process, without having to write complex code to account for a possibility of multiple processes.
    3. to be able to use macros stored in a macro workbook that's not an add-in on all my open excel files (i.e. with file scattered between multiple instances, trying to open the macro workbook in the consecutive instance triggers a warning that the file is already open and does not
    4. similarly to point 2, to be able to easily create simple macros whenever I need to automate a repetitive task, i.e. the below simple example code that I could use in a single instance, will not work if Excel decides to open wb2 in a new process:

    Sub test()

    Set wb1 = Workbooks("test1.xlsx")

    Set wb2 = Workbooks("test2.xlsx")

    wb1.Sheets(1).Range("A1:H40").Value = wb2.Sheets(1).Range("A1:H40").Value

    End Sub

    Thanks for the suggestion re Excel 2010. I obviously would have done it long time ago if Excel 2016 wasn't forced company-wide.

    @Rohn007 - would you agree that these are good reasons for wanting the consistency of a single Excel instance? MS messed up the above functionalities by allowing Excel to open in a new instance whenever it feels like it.

    @Gloria - how is the investigation progressing?

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-07-26T00:12:39+00:00

    Hi J,

    The issue is now in investigation process.

    Thank you for your patience.

    Best Regards,

    Gloria

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-07-25T09:33:00+00:00

    Hi Gloria,

    Thanks for acknowledging that the problem exists. I look forward to your findings and, more importantly, a resolution of this issue.

    Kind regards,

    J.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-06-29T08:20:31+00:00

    Hi J,

    Does the issue persist?

    Please let us know if you need further help.

    Best Regards,

    Gloria

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-06-27T13:24:35+00:00

    Hi J,

    In Microsoft Excel 2013 and later versions, when you open multiple spreadsheets, they all open in the same instance of Excel.

    I have tested the situations you listed except the AppX one from my side, and the result is that all the files open in the same instance instead of opening each one in a new instance.

    1. Open multiple Excel files at once from disk and all the files open in the same instance.
    2. For the XLSTART folder, when you click on a file, then all the files will open. So if you select all the files in XLSTART folder and open at once, it is normal that you get instances for the number of files.
    3. Double click Excel attachments in Outlook and they are in the same instance whether in the same email or different email. Even when the excel preview is disabled or enabled, the Excel files are still in the same instance .

    Please start your PC in safe mode to see the result.

    To better understand your situation and provide help for you, please confirm the information below:

    1. Please provide your Office product name and version to share with us according to this article: What version of Office am I using?
    2. How many files did you open when you encountered this issue? Is the behavior the same when you open 2 vs 6 as an example?

    Best Regards,

    Gloria

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments