Bold, underlined, italic text not displaying on PC screen or when printed

Anonymous
2018-03-04T07:39:30+00:00

I use several templates that have bold, italic, and underlined headers/paragraph headings.   Every now and again when I open these templates (and any document based on them) none of the formatting is displayed on my PC screen ie the whole document looks like it is typed in plain times roman 12 with no bold, italic, underline anywhere.

I have opened word 2016 in safe mode and the same thing is occurring.

I have printed a page that I know should have the formatting and it is printing plain too.

I have not touched the formatting in any way.

I have found that, randomly, rebooting will solve the issue and the bold etc displays and prints.  However, for the last couple of days this is not working.

Also, when viewed on a PC I send the completed docs to, all the correct formatting is displayed?!

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance.

edited to add:

Just to add, this is the 'reveal formatting' information.  It says bold and italic but the text on the screen is plain.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Suzanne S Barnhill 279.4K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2018-03-22T19:49:01+00:00

As I replied to your email, somehow TNR Bold had been applied as direct formatting. On my end, selecting text and pressing Ctrl+Spacebar to remove the direct formatting, then reapplying the bold formatting, corrected the problem in the Reveal Formatting task pane.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-03-16T17:04:46+00:00

    Hi Jordan

    Not sure if you have read the whole thread between just myself and Suzanne but as you will see the issue with 'missing' formatting has NOT been resolved.

    I would very much like (and appreciate) for other members and indeed the experts to help me with my concerns, as the issue is becoming increasingly frustrating.

    Many thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-03-17T16:43:17+00:00

    Is there anyone that can assist?

    Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  4. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more