AutoSave switch greyed-out.

Anonymous
2017-08-04T15:40:16+00:00

A couple of days ago, I noticed that the save icon at the top of the Excel window in version 1707 of Office 365 has been moved a little to the right because a new greyed-out AutoSave button has appeared. It is set to "Off". 

Does anyone know how to turn it on?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-08-04T16:25:12+00:00

this is from:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/What-is-AutoSave-6d6bd723-ebfd-4e40-b5f6-ae6e8088f7a5?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

"AutoSave is enabled when working on a file that is saved to OneDrive, OneDrive for Business, or SharePoint Online. If the file is saved to another location, then AutoSave is disabled. This will happen if your file is on a SharePoint On Premises site, a file server, or saved to a local path like C:.

There are other reasons AutoSave could be disabled as well. For example, if your file is in an older format like .xls, .ppt, or .doc., it will be disabled. It will also be disabled if your presentation is in slide show mode, or if your workbook contains password protection. If AutoSave is disabled, you can always hover over the AutoSave switch and a tooltip will tell you why it's off."

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-01-29T03:47:47+00:00

    I'm replying to tell my troubles as well. I have been using word for 6 years now generally without an issue. Now, today, 1/28/2018 autosave is disabled because I need to either "save it in onedrive or sharepoint online to enable this feature" except for the fact that every single document I open/edit/save is saved to my onedrive. My onedrive has all my school stuff in it and word now knows to save all my stuff to onedrive. I had to log into onedrive on chrome, open the document, then choose to open the document in the word application on my computer. Doing that, somehow, suddenly enabled autosave. Before anyone asks: my desktop is always connected to the internet, the onedrive program is enabled, in my menubar, and always syncing, there are no updates i need, and the file is a docx. This seemed to happen when I was done on my laptop, i saved my document and after it uploaded to onedrive i shut my laptop, i went to my desktop, found the file i was working on previously (already synced of course because onedrive) and when i opened on desktop boom, no autosave. Its good i caught this early because this post would be much different if i lost an entire document.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-01-30T20:11:00+00:00

    So "AutoSave" is only for used with OneDrive?  Okay - that's useless.  I'm using Excel for Mac 16.9 (180116) which as of today is the most recent.  I've noticed that PowerPoint and Word also now have this feature.

    Fortunately the latest Excel, Word, and PowerPoint all still have AutoRecovery.

    They also have Preferences for the Ribbon & Toolbar so you can remove the annoying none functioning AutoSave if you don't want to look at it...

    Why do large software vendors like Microsoft assume everyone is going to use "the cloud" or "their cloud" for everything?  I have OneDrive (which with Office365 is 1 TB and is great), Google Drive, iCloud, AWS, company SharePoint drives, blah, blah, blah.   I do use OneDrive, but not for working documents; I use it for archival purposes (and for sharing with other devices).  Most of my OneDrive is setup so files I have on OneDrive only show up on my computer if I want them to.  Otherwise they are safely archived and not filling up my local hard drive.

    When I do a lot of my work I don't even have access to the Internet, so guess what?  No Cloud.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-02-03T17:06:28+00:00

    So, if the AutoSave switch is greyed-out and "Off" because you do not use OneDrive, OneDrive for Business, or SharePoint Online, is your work only saved if you save it manually?  If the application or your computer crashes, is your work since the last time you manually saved it lost?

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-02-06T16:48:44+00:00

    This is the most annoying thing I've ever seen. Seriously considering switching to a Mac.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments