AutoSave switch greyed-out.

Anonymous
2017-08-04T15:40:16+00:00

A couple of days ago, I noticed that the save icon at the top of the Excel window in version 1707 of Office 365 has been moved a little to the right because a new greyed-out AutoSave button has appeared. It is set to "Off". 

Does anyone know how to turn it on?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-08-04T16:25:12+00:00

this is from:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/What-is-AutoSave-6d6bd723-ebfd-4e40-b5f6-ae6e8088f7a5?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

"AutoSave is enabled when working on a file that is saved to OneDrive, OneDrive for Business, or SharePoint Online. If the file is saved to another location, then AutoSave is disabled. This will happen if your file is on a SharePoint On Premises site, a file server, or saved to a local path like C:.

There are other reasons AutoSave could be disabled as well. For example, if your file is in an older format like .xls, .ppt, or .doc., it will be disabled. It will also be disabled if your presentation is in slide show mode, or if your workbook contains password protection. If AutoSave is disabled, you can always hover over the AutoSave switch and a tooltip will tell you why it's off."

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-08-02T18:39:18+00:00

    Sometimes auto-save goes on after I download a file to Word from OneDrive. Usually it doesn't. I'm not sure if my office network is using its own version of OneDrive.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-08-02T20:47:32+00:00

    Sometimes auto-save goes on after I download a file to Word from OneDrive. Usually it doesn't. I'm not sure if my office network is using its own version of OneDrive.

    As I understand auto-save. The feature/option is active when you are connected to a cloud, such as OneDrive. When you disconnect from the cloud drive, the option of auto-save is grayed out, non-functional. I have several cloud drives and when I connect to a cloud drive, the auto-save is active (available). When disconnecting from the cloud drive, the options is grayed out. However, in saying all that, if I connect to a NAS drive, the auto-save is grayed out. It seems that the auto-save works if you are connected to a cloud drive or a drive that is not part of your local network. I could be wrong, but from my experience, this seems to be the case. It would be great to simply leave the auto-save active, even when you save a file to the local. Why MS wants to only let auto-save work in certain situations, beats the heck out of me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-08-07T23:25:09+00:00

    This is why I have a Mac.  

    They are trying to get us to either use PCs by making Word 2016 bad or get us to use OneDrive (which isn't working for me and is infinitely inferior to dropbox).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-08-23T04:10:28+00:00

    My Power Point is now frozen and I don't want to close it because the auto save is turned off and I don't want to lose my work.  Any pointers?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments