AutoSave switch greyed-out.

Anonymous
2017-08-04T15:40:16+00:00

A couple of days ago, I noticed that the save icon at the top of the Excel window in version 1707 of Office 365 has been moved a little to the right because a new greyed-out AutoSave button has appeared. It is set to "Off". 

Does anyone know how to turn it on?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-08-04T16:25:12+00:00

this is from:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/What-is-AutoSave-6d6bd723-ebfd-4e40-b5f6-ae6e8088f7a5?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

"AutoSave is enabled when working on a file that is saved to OneDrive, OneDrive for Business, or SharePoint Online. If the file is saved to another location, then AutoSave is disabled. This will happen if your file is on a SharePoint On Premises site, a file server, or saved to a local path like C:.

There are other reasons AutoSave could be disabled as well. For example, if your file is in an older format like .xls, .ppt, or .doc., it will be disabled. It will also be disabled if your presentation is in slide show mode, or if your workbook contains password protection. If AutoSave is disabled, you can always hover over the AutoSave switch and a tooltip will tell you why it's off."

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-03-12T11:56:03+00:00

    This is another case of Microsoft treating us like the idiots that they think we are.

    I do not use SharePoint or OneDrive, or any other cloud based storage service. I have a proper backup system in my home office. I also know my way around a computer system, and I know how to save backups.

    So please, Microsoft. I DID NOT ASK FOR THIS IDIOTIC OPTION

    Please remove the greyed out switch which is irritating the s$#t out of me, or tell me how to permanently hide it.

    Stop treating us like kids.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-04-06T14:30:52+00:00

    Why not make AutoSave available when saving anywhere? It's not like it encourages me to save to OneDrive just so I can have the AutoSave feature available.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-05-06T07:44:39+00:00

    Similar for me. My document is encrypted, but there is no tooltip saying that Autosave is disabled due to the encryption.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-05-18T23:22:07+00:00

    Hi. It is same with me. I have an office 2016 updated version 1804 9226.2156, i also saved my document in onedrive. But, the autosave is still greyed out.

    MS have to solve this!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments