Multiple instances of Word 2016 opening on startup

Anonymous
2017-11-27T00:15:35+00:00

I currently run Windows 10 Home 64-bit, version 1709, OS build 16299.64.

Whenever I boot into Windows, Microsoft Word 2016 opens up 4 blank documents. I checked under the startup folder and Word is not there.

I have not tried uninstalling Word but I am trying to figure out what is making Word open up 4 blank documents.

Thank you in advance for the help.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Vijay A. Verma 104.9K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2017-11-27T02:16:25+00:00

The issue is caused by last Windows update which corrupted the current user profile.

The solution is to login through another Windows user profile.

Microsoft is in the process of getting this issue fixed. Though no timeline is committed but this should get fixed in next Windows update which will flow in.

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-04-21T12:01:29+00:00

This problem was resolved within a few weeks after the Fall Creators update was released.  If you have all of the updates after that fall release, you should not be experiencing the problem any more.  If your issue is similar and not the same, but you have all the updates, I suggest that you start a new thread for a new problem.  The original workaround for this problem was to use task manager to kill the background Word processes before rebooting.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-11-30T00:19:40+00:00

    I am an insider but am running the latest released version 1709, build 16299.64.  When I boot my system opens 17 copies of Word with blank documents.  I have to close each copy individually.  Has this issue with this version been reported to Microsoft?  fortunately, I do not restart very often, but it is still a pain to close 17 copies of Word.  Any suggestions?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Suzanne S Barnhill 279.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2017-11-30T13:11:45+00:00

    It is my understanding that there are numerous problems with version 1709.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-11-30T13:31:44+00:00

    I am an insider but am running the latest released version 1709, build 16299.64.  When I boot my system opens 17 copies of Word with blank documents.  I have to close each copy individually.  Has this issue with this version been reported to Microsoft? 

    fortunately, I do not restart very often, but it is still a pain to close 17 copies of Word.  Any suggestions?

    Here is what worked for our situation. Log out of your Microsoft account and then log into the computer with a different Microsoft account, then after that boot sequence has completed, log out of that second account, and log back into your original account, and the corruption should repair itself when the account is re-logged into. I can't promise that it will work for you, but it did work for my family. Good luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments