Multiple instances of Word 2016 opening on startup

Anonymous
2017-11-27T00:15:35+00:00

I currently run Windows 10 Home 64-bit, version 1709, OS build 16299.64.

Whenever I boot into Windows, Microsoft Word 2016 opens up 4 blank documents. I checked under the startup folder and Word is not there.

I have not tried uninstalling Word but I am trying to figure out what is making Word open up 4 blank documents.

Thank you in advance for the help.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Vijay A. Verma 104.9K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2017-11-27T02:16:25+00:00

The issue is caused by last Windows update which corrupted the current user profile.

The solution is to login through another Windows user profile.

Microsoft is in the process of getting this issue fixed. Though no timeline is committed but this should get fixed in next Windows update which will flow in.

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-04-21T12:01:29+00:00

This problem was resolved within a few weeks after the Fall Creators update was released.  If you have all of the updates after that fall release, you should not be experiencing the problem any more.  If your issue is similar and not the same, but you have all the updates, I suggest that you start a new thread for a new problem.  The original workaround for this problem was to use task manager to kill the background Word processes before rebooting.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-11-27T01:14:56+00:00

    Thanks for the feedback.

    The problem is, I am not purposely opening a file. I am not clicking on a shortcut to open Word nor do I have Word in the startup folder to launch on startup.

    Here is what happens:

    I turn on my computer, wait for it to boot to the Windows login screen.

    I enter my password and wait for things to finish booting.

    While waiting, Microsoft Word launches and opens up 4 blank documents.

    I tried repairing Word but that did not help.

    Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-11-27T00:59:31+00:00

    Hello.

    Please check the following link. Hope this can help you.

    http://www.brainbell.com/tutorials/ms-office/Wo...

    Regards

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments