Multiple instances of Word 2016 opening on startup

Anonymous
2017-11-27T00:15:35+00:00

I currently run Windows 10 Home 64-bit, version 1709, OS build 16299.64.

Whenever I boot into Windows, Microsoft Word 2016 opens up 4 blank documents. I checked under the startup folder and Word is not there.

I have not tried uninstalling Word but I am trying to figure out what is making Word open up 4 blank documents.

Thank you in advance for the help.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Vijay A. Verma 104.9K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
2017-11-27T02:16:25+00:00

The issue is caused by last Windows update which corrupted the current user profile.

The solution is to login through another Windows user profile.

Microsoft is in the process of getting this issue fixed. Though no timeline is committed but this should get fixed in next Windows update which will flow in.

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2018-04-21T12:01:29+00:00

This problem was resolved within a few weeks after the Fall Creators update was released.  If you have all of the updates after that fall release, you should not be experiencing the problem any more.  If your issue is similar and not the same, but you have all the updates, I suggest that you start a new thread for a new problem.  The original workaround for this problem was to use task manager to kill the background Word processes before rebooting.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-12-20T07:55:53+00:00

    The strange thing is indeed that it is not happening all the time, It seems random now.

    What has changed and that is with mote apps is that if you shutdown windows and there are apps open like Outlook, Word Excel etc and even non-Microsoft, these are all reopened when you start the system up the next day.

    So my guess is the MS decided to 'help' the users by restarting the applications they have been using, not the last documents and so, just the the application.

    Maybe I'm wrong but this is the impression I am getting now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-12-19T15:54:13+00:00

    I think this has been cleared up by Microsoft with an update because I am not suffering from it any more. Equally, the very annoying tendency of Outlook to freeze intermittently also stopped at the same time so I assume Microsoft fixed that!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-12-19T15:50:49+00:00

    I just looked at Task Manager again.  The MS Word tasks are no longer being moved to the Background Processes list when you exit Word.  This issue must have been cleared up by Microsoft with an update.  A restart should no longer open the Word processes.  I am running version 1709, build 16299.125.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments