Onenote: images are replaced with a red X

Anonymous
2018-01-09T23:01:03+00:00

Hello,

As you can read in the title: some of the images in my onenote sections are gone. 

I tried:

  • deleting the cache folder: didn't work
  • updating: didn't work
  • making a new noteblock and copying/replacing my notes to the new noteblock: didn't work
  • opening the notebook online: didn't work, also doesn't show the images

I have an exam coming up and I really can't have this problem right now. Please help.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-10-09T15:02:24+00:00

    robert_99

    Thanks for the update. 

    I am not sure I completely follow what you did, however.  You state that you copied "the webpage clipping temporarily into Word".  I don't see any options for doing that from the clipper.  I can copy the webpage directly by highlighting the content on the actual page and copying it to Word but that doesn't involve the clipper.  

    As you say, the article can be pasted into Word and everything looks OK.  The same is true if I paste the copy into OneNote.  In both cases the images show up.  This process is not particularly helpful, of course, since a major advantage of the clipper is to avoid copying and pasting.  In addition, some articles are not easily copied, if at all.  

    In any case I believe that you have confirmed that the problem is with the clipper.  Unfortunately, Microsoft doesn't appear to have any interest in addressing the issue.  If I've misunderstood, please advise.

    Wayne

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-10-09T18:26:31+00:00

    A misunderstanding. I was not using any Clipper.

    I just selected the webpage areas of interest with the mouse and copy and pasted it into Word, as you stated.

    That is also called clipping.

    It is just a work around - not a cure.

    Since I posted I have tried using the OneNote page copy option from Internet Explorer.

    Right click on page and select Send to OneNote.

    I sent a test page to Unfiled Notes and all the images worked fine.

    Something has been reset by doing that, as all images can be now copied to OneNote in the normal way (without using Send to OneNote) when before only text was appearing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-11-10T16:04:04+00:00

    robert_99

    Sorry for the long delay in responding.  If I understand correctly you are going to a page and using the right click/OneNote Clipper option to capture the page.  You mentioned Internet Explorer so I'm assuming that you are using Microsoft Edge.  If I've misunderstood let me know.

    When I use the "right click" option that (using either Microsoft Edge or Google Chrome) it simply opens the clipper drop down menu.  This appears to be the same as activating the clipper from the browser icon.

    If using "Full Page" the capture works fine, as noted previously.  If using "Article" the Red X problem still occurs.  There is an earlier post (I believe it's on Page 2 of the comments) where I summarized the results for the 4 capture options and it sounds like your experience may be consistent with mine.

    It would be most helpful if you would use the following article and capture it using both of the referenced options ("Full Page" and "Article") to confirm that you are seeing what I am seeing:

    https://medium.freecodecamp.org/tools-i-wish-i-had-known-about-when-i-started-coding-57849efd9248

    If you would rather use a different article just post it and I'll test it and provide an update.

    I have been using "Full Page" as a fall back option since I can't get the "Article" option to work correctly.  It's a poor alternative as it captures a lot of extraneous information but it is what it is.  In the interim, I've started looking at other options and I'll drop OneNote (and Microsoft Office) as soon as I find one that works for me.

    Wayne

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-11-10T23:54:19+00:00

    Wayne,

    I am using Internet Explorer not Edge.

    In IE right clicking a page only gives the option to Send to One Note.

    I sent the page you referenced  to One Note and the webpage and images are all there.

    Evernote Clipper also works

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-11-11T00:28:54+00:00

    robert_99,

    Thanks for the clarification.  I have been on Windows 10 for some time.  It defaults to Edge so I haven't used IE in a few years. 

    The only question then is whether the page capture that you are getting with IE is the simplified version ("Article") or the complete page ("Full Page"(FP)).  As noted, FP works fine with the Clipper in Chrome.  Since you're only getting one option in IE my uninformed guess would be that it may be saving the FP. 

    Let me know if that is correct or not.  I finally connected with a Microsoft OneNote technical person and he is supposed to be investigating the problem.  I'll let him know what you have found but he'll probably want to know which version of the page IE is saving.

    Thanks,

    Wayne

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments