Onenote: images are replaced with a red X

Anonymous
2018-01-09T23:01:03+00:00

Hello,

As you can read in the title: some of the images in my onenote sections are gone. 

I tried:

  • deleting the cache folder: didn't work
  • updating: didn't work
  • making a new noteblock and copying/replacing my notes to the new noteblock: didn't work
  • opening the notebook online: didn't work, also doesn't show the images

I have an exam coming up and I really can't have this problem right now. Please help.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-05-14T18:53:08+00:00

    Luke,

    Per my earlier note, here are a couple of links to try.  Both worked OK using Chrome and the "Article" option:

    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/opinion-lenz-billy-graham_us_5a8ef291e4b005bb0fef46ec

    https://www.yahoo.com/news/tucker-carlson-turns-trump-apos-095039632.html

    These are the Huffington Post and Yahoo. The first link I sent to you was for MSN.  

    Following is a link from CNBC that doesn't work:

    https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/02/trumps-easy-win-trade-war-is-a-no-win-situation-for-wall-street-and-main-street.html

    Generally speaking, I've found that sites either work or they do not.  I don't recall having any problems with MSN or Yahoo, for example.  I did a couple of quick tests today and the Huffington Post appears to be solid, as well.  CNBC on the other hand has never worked as far as I can recall. 

    This is what makes me think the problem has something to do with the technology used by each website.  If you and/or some of your students are particularly techie you may be able to look at the website information (usually readily available in the browser) and draw some conclusions as to what development platform was used.

    The following article, for example, provides information on how to access web page source code.

    https://blog.kissmetrics.com/how-to-read-source-code/

    Delving into that is above my pay grade, for sure.

    Wayne

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-05-15T15:23:33+00:00

    Thanks so much for writing everything out so clearly.  I have been experiencing the same problem and wondering what I had been doing wrong.

    Your idea about the web coding got me thinking.  I have a few websites myself so experimented with them and have tried it with a few others.  Secure websites don't seem to save pictures but non secure ones do.  ie https websites don't save pictures but http ones do.

    This may be a red herring - and it's difficult to find non secure sites but it would be great if it was that simple - and a quick fix could be made!!

    Sharon

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-05-15T16:51:41+00:00

    Sharon,

    Glad that the comments have been helpful.

    Your idea regarding secure/non-secure is interesting.  That would not have occurred to me.  My experience, however, is that some secure sites do work (e.g., Yahoo, MSN, and Huffington Post).  If you would, please check the secure URLs I mentioned in my earlier post to Luke and let me know if you have any problems with those links.

    There are so many web development technologies available these days that the issue is probably a compatibility problem between the OneNote Clipper and one, or more, of those technologies.  If we could identify a list of problem sites someone who is knowledgeable about the technologies behind those sites could probably figure it out fairly quickly so I'm hopeful that Luke's proposed initiative will bear fruit.  I would have thought that the OneNote technical staff would have been all over this but I've seen no evidence that they are remotely interested in solving the problem.

    Wayne

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-05-16T07:26:08+00:00

    You're right.  I have the same result as you with your examples. Wikipedia is another secure site that saves pictures. 

    The reason I thought about the secure /non secure is because I have 2 websites that use exactly the same structure.  The only difference (apart from the information on them) is that one is secure and one isn't.  One saves the pictures and the other doesn't

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-05-16T22:39:11+00:00

    Sharon,

    Is it possible (with reasonable effort) to flip the sites between secure and non-secure?  If so it would be interesting to see if that has any effect.  The validity of it would depend, of course, on both sites being otherwise identical.

    As info, I checked Wikipedia and it works for me, as well.

    Wayne

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments