Onenote: images are replaced with a red X

Anonymous
2018-01-09T23:01:03+00:00

Hello,

As you can read in the title: some of the images in my onenote sections are gone. 

I tried:

  • deleting the cache folder: didn't work
  • updating: didn't work
  • making a new noteblock and copying/replacing my notes to the new noteblock: didn't work
  • opening the notebook online: didn't work, also doesn't show the images

I have an exam coming up and I really can't have this problem right now. Please help.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-01-10T03:36:05+00:00

    Hi,

    Recent changes made on the computer may affect the functionality of the application. To better understand your concern, we’d like to know the following:

    • Is this the first time that you’ll insert images on your notebooks? If not, were there images showing correctly previously? If yes, are there any changes made prior to this concern?
    • How do you insert images in your notebooks? Is the image saving on your computer locally or is this an online picture?
    • Are your notebooks synced properly?

    As an initial recommendation, we suggest that you perform an online repair for your Office program. To do this, check this articlefor the procedures. Once it’s done, check if the issue persists.

    We’ll keep an eye out for your response.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-02-05T20:15:56+00:00

    Short story:

    Work around by only copying text and tables into notes and if possible drawing diagrams instead of using images and embedding print outs.

    Long story:

    I've actually given up on this and resorted to only using images when absolutely necessary and only when I'm prepared for them to  disappear in the future (only a matter of time). I've been using OneNote for work across android, windows and ios (iPad pro) for 6 months. 4 months worth of records is now useless because I didn't realise until 2 months ago that all scanned documents and images were disappearing over time. Even embedding the source file as an attachment into the note didn't help (the file icon would also be red-xed and for excel tables and error message of "The embedded file cannot be found. Check backups for older copies of this section that may contain the embedded file by clicking file > open > Open Backups").

    Now I copy and paste text from pdfs, word documents and email into notes (copying a forwarded email captures date/recipient details). Much of the formatting is preserved although any images are subject to red x-ing in the future. I reproduce diagrams by drawing them into the iPad. It's not a good solution but the most reliable.  There is no security doing it any other way until MS fix what seems to have been a common problem for many years now (google OneNote red x).

    P.S I don't work for MS. I'm just a Joe trying to deal with OneNote like the rest of y'all.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-02-19T17:24:52+00:00

    I have had this same problem with OneNote for as long as I can remember.  I don't think it's a problem with my computer as I have experienced it with several different machines over the years and numerous versions of OneNote.  I have also tried closing notebooks, closing OneNote, manually syncing, etc. to no avail. 

    I checked and it appears that the images in this article are jpg, so I don't understand why I would be having issues. I assume that OneNote won't display some images but I can't imagine that it would not handle jpg.  By the way Evernote has no problems displaying the images.

    It would be most helpful if Microsoft would provide a test page link with images so that users can compare results and have a meaningful discussion and get the problem actually resolved.  Instead we get generic, unhelpful comments for a problem that has existed for years now (just check the web and your own help boards).

    Following is a link, as an example, where I am getting red x blocks instead of images:

    https://medium.freecodecamp.org/tools-i-wish-i-had-known-about-when-i-started-coding-57849efd9248

    It would be helpful is someone with Microsoft would use OneNote to capture that article, or the section I use as an example, below and confirm whether the images are captured.  What is particularly annoying is that the web clipper (Chrome) shows the article with the images, but the images don't show up in OneNote itself.  

    Following are three images showing the capture (note the image is shown) and the results (both online and in my local OneNote desktop app).  Any help understanding why this occurs would be greatly appreciated.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-02-20T15:48:07+00:00

    Hello,

    We would like to know more information about your concern. For us to effectively assist you, could you tell us if you have tried to repair OneNote and see if it helps? If no, we recommend repairing OneNote by following the steps here.

    Also, may we know what is the connectivity status of your computer between our Office server? To know, you may visit this portal link. We also advise that you try to manually sync your notebooks by following the steps in this article and check if you're having the same issue.

    We're looking forward to your response.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-02-20T17:40:17+00:00

    Stephanie,

    Thanks for the quick response. 

    With respect to your comments:

    1.  I tried repairing OneNote - No change.

    2.  I checked the portal and everything appears to be OK (see image, below - note that the images are labeled to help make it clear which one applies).

    3.  I normally have this set to automatic sync.  I tried manually syncing but I'm not sure how to interpret the results.  It appears that some notebooks are not syncing (see image, below).   It is showing manual because of your instructions.  I then reset it to automatic and sync appears to work (see attachment).  I also logged in online and took an image (after doing the manual and automatic syncs).  Again, no change.

    As info, I have Office 365.  I don't know whether that has any relevance, but I thought I should mention it.

    As I described in my earlier post it would be much more helpful if someone at Microsoft would provide a reference link to use for captures before spending a lot of time and effort chasing down solutions.  That is why I provided a link and images showing the results that I obtain when trying to capture a note.  

    Wayne

    service health

    manual sync

    automatic sync

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments