Onenote: images are replaced with a red X

Anonymous
2018-01-09T23:01:03+00:00

Hello,

As you can read in the title: some of the images in my onenote sections are gone. 

I tried:

  • deleting the cache folder: didn't work
  • updating: didn't work
  • making a new noteblock and copying/replacing my notes to the new noteblock: didn't work
  • opening the notebook online: didn't work, also doesn't show the images

I have an exam coming up and I really can't have this problem right now. Please help.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-05-14T04:53:59+00:00

    Hi Wayne,

    Thank you for the link as it works for me also! This is the first time in a long time that I have come across an article that clips correctly. Admittedly I have only began trying to clip with earnest again over the last week. Interestingly Microsoft's own website does not seem to clip photographs with articles correctly.

    Now I am more intrigued to work out this mystery as I am also a fan of using OneNote. 

    You are spot on in regards to questioning why Microsoft have not put in a similar effort to you when it comes to solving the problem, along with reference sites. They should at least give an indication of the breadth of the problem.

    I have been thinking that I will do a bit of research with the the 500 students and staff at my school to determine if there is some consistency among their experiences with OneNote. This is possible because all staff and students have a "free" subscription to Office 365 Pro.

    Will let you know what I find out.

    Luke

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-05-13T15:32:32+00:00

    Luke,

    1.  I have found sites where the clipper works as intended.  Following is one that I retested for this response and it appears to work:

    https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/celebrity/jennifer-lawrence-addresses-brad-pitt-dating-rumors-i-wasnt-in-a-huge-hurry-to-debunk-it/ar-BBJMoKn?ocid=spartandhp

    The first previously "successful" link that I tried did not work so it appears that the problem may be intermittent for some sites. 

    Most sites where the clipper doesn't work simply don't work no matter how many times I check them.  If the above link doesn't work let me know and I'll look for others for you to test.

    2.  I found very little help on the web despite many searches.  What help I did find was not productive.  That's the only reason I tried Microsoft as I usually find their help next to useless.  They have certainly done nothing on this problem to improve that perception.  It does appear that the issue has been around for a very long time.  That much I could determine.

    3.  I am an individual user.  I have Office 365, but I seem to recall that I encountered similar problems prior to Office 365.  Don't quote me on that though.  This issue is the primary reason I've never fully utilized OneNote as much as I would like.  It's my interest in using OneNote that underpins the reason I've spent as much effort trying to get help on it.  It's a wonderful tool, but so much more of an aggravation than Evernote.  My great fear is that Microsoft will buy out Evernote and screw it up like they've done with so many other great applications.

    As a side note, the way I've kept track of what works and what doesn't actually utilizes OneNote (only fair).  I created a notebook with tabs for each browser and each capture option (e.g., full page, article, clip, etc.).  That way I have a time stamped record of what each capture produced.  If I were truly industrious I would set up tabs for specific websites, but that's more than I want to bother. 

    I was hoping (foolish me) that Microsoft help would do something along those lines (imagine them using their own products to actually produce helpful information!).  A reference document of which sites work and which don't would probably be helpful for OneNote support staff, but then, again, I digress.

    Sorry for the rants.  It just drives me crazy that we can't get any meaningful help on this problem.  In any case, let me know if the above link works.

    Wayne

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-05-13T01:17:41+00:00

    Hello Wayne,

    Thanks for the reply. I have tested the link you provided and can confirm that it does drop the image as well. In fact I have not found a site that does keep the image when clipped to OneNote. Do you have any examples of sites that work for you?

    Another question I have wondered is how wide spread this error is for users? I have found it difficult to determine through searching on the web.

    Apologies for all the questions but are you using an individual Office 365 licence or a company or department licence? The reason I ask this is because I have wondered if the issue is related to the fact that I am using OneNote through our school's Department for Education and Child Development licence.

    Luke

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-05-11T15:14:27+00:00

    Mr. Grublestein,

    Thanks for confirmation that you are experiencing the same issue.  Alicia, in response to my posting on the OneNote UserVoice confirmed that she is experiencing the same problem. 

    To date no one from Microsoft has offered anything useful, of course.  This is consistent with my experience with Microsoft over the years so I should not be surprised.  It is frustrating, however, that Stephanie hasn't bothered to answer my basic question and, potentially, saved a lot of time/effort.  What truly annoys me, though, is that this problem has been around for a very long time and that Microsoft has done nothing, evidently, to solve it.

    In any case, I have confirmed that the problem occurs across other sites.  The Clipper works correctly for some web sites and not for others.  I haven't been able to observe any pattern.  My guess is that it is related to the web development technology used by each provider.  

    If you would like to confirm that you are experiencing the same problem on a different reference page, following is a site where the Clipper drops the image consistent with the previous discussion:

    https://www.rokuguide.com/articles/redbox-expands-beta-test-of-streaming-video-service

    I tested this with both Chrome, Firefox and Edge and got the same results across all of them.

    Wayne

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-05-11T04:49:22+00:00

    Hi Stephanie,

    I have the same issue as seurat01 in regards to pictures not displaying. After reading through the two pages of conversation between the two of you, I do not understand why you have not responded to his simple request to, "try a capture on the article I originally referenced to determine if the problem is specific to that website." So can I please ask that you try to clip the article from the following site:

    https://petapixel.com/2016/06/27/6-tips-telling-stories-photos/

    This is one article that definitely does not display the pictures when clipped to OneNote, so my yes or no question is:

    Do the pictures display in OneNote when you clip the article?

    It may be helpful to know that I am using Office 365 as a DECD teacher from South Australia.

    Regards

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments