Onenote: images are replaced with a red X

Anonymous
2018-01-09T23:01:03+00:00

Hello,

As you can read in the title: some of the images in my onenote sections are gone. 

I tried:

  • deleting the cache folder: didn't work
  • updating: didn't work
  • making a new noteblock and copying/replacing my notes to the new noteblock: didn't work
  • opening the notebook online: didn't work, also doesn't show the images

I have an exam coming up and I really can't have this problem right now. Please help.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-11-23T17:29:08+00:00

    Jaylen,

    OK.  Got it.

    I can understand that Microsoft would put in place a mechanism to keep people from posting malicious sites.  What astounds me is that they would not put a meaningful error message that explains the problem since many other forums allow such postings.  So much simpler to allow widespread confusion and waste people's time.  That's a consistent theme through the years with Microsoft so it should not surprise me at all I suppose.  

    I hope that you are a young person.  If so, there is perhaps a slim chance that Microsoft will actually solve the "red x" problem in your lifetime.

    Wayne

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-11-22T02:08:29+00:00

    Wayne,

    When I tried to add a url in my message by replacing 'com' with 'xxx' on November 18, it just failed and I tried several ways such as replace '/' with '#'. But now I realize that I just couldn't post any message on that day because of something else by but not the ways how I modified the url since now I can add a url like you do as shown below. 

    https://answers.microsoft.xxx/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice\_onenote-mso\_win10-mso\_365hp/onenote-images-are-replaced-with-a-red-x/a4749e66-be1d-40b2-8ad3-74a7c317fcd6?messageId=3b2cad6d-ab40-46e9-9389-f16802c1c51f

    I guess the reason for why we can't add a url in a message is the mechanism to sanitize or forbid the users' potential malicious input like a url that might be linked to a malicious website. Such a mechanism will check the content of a message and decide how to deal with it according to the checking result.

    Jaylen

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  4. Anonymous
    2018-11-21T12:29:31+00:00

    Jaylen,

    I'm not sure I understand the question.

    My reading of your note suggests that you are asking how I included the URL in my earlier message but the pictures you included show that you are aware that I simply replaced "com" with "xxx".

    Am I missing something?

    Wayne

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-11-21T07:52:17+00:00

    Wayne, 

    Thanks for you reply and sorry for my delay. I couldn't reply to you for a day or two because I encountered "Opps, sorry.." kind of error and then I updated my information on the website you refereed to.

    I tested your issue and it did the same to me. I guess it's kind of mechanism to sanitize the user potential malicious input but amusingly it seems that it even reject its own website.

    Below are pictures I tested this issue, and I wonder how you add a url in the post here.

    Moreover I can post this over that thread where you originally detailed this issue, so here I am to post the message here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments