Onenote: images are replaced with a red X

Anonymous
2018-01-09T23:01:03+00:00

Hello,

As you can read in the title: some of the images in my onenote sections are gone. 

I tried:

  • deleting the cache folder: didn't work
  • updating: didn't work
  • making a new noteblock and copying/replacing my notes to the new noteblock: didn't work
  • opening the notebook online: didn't work, also doesn't show the images

I have an exam coming up and I really can't have this problem right now. Please help.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2018-09-25T16:01:16+00:00

    Same here webapp would not accept pasting screenshot images in Safari. -Red circle and white cross. only uploading images would work which is toooooo tedious. Does your staff fix this? would be so important in my workflow. Would be forced to switch to some other app soon.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-08-21T19:20:30+00:00

    Hello,

    As you can read in the title: some of the images in my onenote sections are gone. 

    I tried:

    • deleting the cache folder: didn't work
    • updating: didn't work
    • making a new noteblock and copying/replacing my notes to the new noteblock: didn't work
    • opening the notebook online: didn't work, also doesn't show the images

    I have an exam coming up and I really can't have this problem right now. Please help.

    I have the same problem, or some form of it.  Often I find pasted images replaced with a frame that has a red "X" in the upper left corner.  Reading through some of the comments here it seems that Microsoft has not proffered a workable solution, or if they did, I miss seeing it.  However, I think I've stumbled upon a workaround.  If I right click on the blank page I get a drop-down menu: "View Original Printout".  Clicking on that choice brings up the missing image in an XPS viewer.  I don't know how the code accesses the image, but it does.  When it does, a temp file is created.  An example in my case was C:\Users\George\AppData\Local\Temp\OneNote\16.0\Exported{0926826B-7EE0-4050-9084-C1134F05CB58}\NNT\10.  The \10 was the file itself, which had just been created.  This technique might work in  your case. Good luck.

    Thanks for the update.  I'm not clear, however, on what you mean by "blank page".  Are you referring to the original website or the captured OneNote entry?  I've tried right clicking on both and I don't see a "View Original Printout" option.

    Since your comment refers to a printout, I'm thinking you may mean that you're right clicking in a print mode, but, again, I don't see that option.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-08-21T16:38:50+00:00

    Hello,

    As you can read in the title: some of the images in my onenote sections are gone. 

    I tried:

    • deleting the cache folder: didn't work
    • updating: didn't work
    • making a new noteblock and copying/replacing my notes to the new noteblock: didn't work
    • opening the notebook online: didn't work, also doesn't show the images

    I have an exam coming up and I really can't have this problem right now. Please help.

    I have the same problem, or some form of it.  Often I find pasted images replaced with a frame that has a red "X" in the upper left corner.  Reading through some of the comments here it seems that Microsoft has not proffered a workable solution, or if they did, I miss seeing it.  However, I think I've stumbled upon a workaround.  If I right click on the blank page I get a drop-down menu: "View Original Printout".  Clicking on that choice brings up the missing image in an XPS viewer.  I don't know how the code accesses the image, but it does.  When it does, a temp file is created.  An example in my case was C:\Users\George\AppData\Local\Temp\OneNote\16.0\Exported{0926826B-7EE0-4050-9084-C1134F05CB58}\NNT\10.  The \10 was the file itself, which had just been created.  This technique might work in  your case. Good luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-08-08T14:42:33+00:00

    Hi, I'm still experiencing this issue, too.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-05-17T14:13:03+00:00

    I wouldn't want to change the secure site because I think it would stop people being able to access it - and also I don't actually know how to do it.  I think experimenting further down that line would need someone with proper web design knowledge.  Or someone to have a look at the OneNote code and see how they deal with images!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments