A family of Microsoft word processing software products for creating web, email, and print documents.
Try using a STYLEREF field.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I have a Word 2016 document with 6 sections in it. Each section contains 3 tables. It's possible for the tables to span more than one page. When they do, I'd like to repeat the section header at the top of the second page, with " (continued)" tacked onto the end of the header. I looked at "fields" for this, but I don't see that level of customization. Can anyone suggest what Word features I should use to create this effect?
***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***
A family of Microsoft word processing software products for creating web, email, and print documents.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Try using a STYLEREF field.
Thank you for the follow-up! I don't "think" it's the Content Controls, some of them seem to behave properly. You might be right, though. Moreso, I get the impression that the document is "starting over" at the beginning of section 3. I look forward to hearing about this.
You may want to use the Word Toolkit for Advanced Management of Word Headers and Footers. It is a diagnostic.
Here are a couple of screen shots:
Thanks, I'll check out that tool.
OK, I like the tool. It's having a little problem displaying the list of headers & footers in the "Select" box on the left side - the text is overlapping. A little tough to read, but still possible. If it were implemented using a TreeView object (looks like a ListBox now), it would look and behave much better.
By marking "H/Fs that control their own content", I see that section 3's Primary/Odd Header controls its own content, rather than being linked to the previous section's content. I used the buttons to try to unlink, then re-link section 3's content to section 2 - it seemed to go through the motions, but after it was done, nothing changed. This is pretty much the same behavior as when I tried to do it using the standard Word commands. My guess is that the tool is just using the same standard Word commands to try to do the same thing.
This may mean what you said - that the file is "broken". I will wait to see what your contacts come up with. (Hopefully, I won't need to rebuild the file - ugh!)