A family of Microsoft word processing software products for creating web, email, and print documents.
Try using a STYLEREF field.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I have a Word 2016 document with 6 sections in it. Each section contains 3 tables. It's possible for the tables to span more than one page. When they do, I'd like to repeat the section header at the top of the second page, with " (continued)" tacked onto the end of the header. I looked at "fields" for this, but I don't see that level of customization. Can anyone suggest what Word features I should use to create this effect?
***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***
A family of Microsoft word processing software products for creating web, email, and print documents.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Try using a STYLEREF field.
Note that you can't link the content of a first page header (or footer) to the content of an even page header (or footer). The "linkage" is between sections, and only for the same type of header (or footer). For example, the even page header in section 3 may be linked to the even page header in section 2.
A consequence of that is that, for different types of headers in the same section, you will have to insert your STYLEREF field multiple times (once for each header the section contains).
Can you share an example document where you see a behavior different from what you expect?
I see what you are saying about the different header types. But since I have "Different First Page" and "Different Odd & Even Pages" both unchecked, I would think I'm working with the only header. I believe I've already tried checking both boxes and linking up the different headers, but once I unchecked the boxes, the behavior returned to what it was doing.
To post a sample, I've pretty much have to gut the file of all it's proprietary content and macros. I might be able to do that, but I'm not sure when.
I'm not convinced of whether this is a settings problem or an Excel bug...
In Word, you have to select/deselect the "Different first page" option for each section, which may be relevant here. The "Different odd and even" setting, on the other hand, always applies to the whole document.
Note that you can't link the content of a first page header (or footer) to the content of an even page header (or footer). The "linkage" is between sections, and only for the same type of header (or footer). For example, the even page header in section 3 may be linked to the even page header in section 2.
A consequence of that is that, for different types of headers in the same section, you will have to insert your STYLEREF field multiple times (once for each header the section contains).
Can you share an example document where you see a behavior different from what you expect?
Hi Stefan, I posted that file here, as you suggested. (I think I pulled all of the company-specific info out of it.) Thanks!!!
There is something strange about that file. Or perhaps content controls are not fully supported in headers and footers.
I have asked some fellow MVPs to have a look at your example file.