word document - how to create custom section headers?

Anonymous
2017-08-17T16:37:36+00:00

I have a Word 2016 document with 6 sections in it. Each section contains 3 tables. It's possible for the tables to span more than one page. When they do, I'd like to repeat the section header at the top of the second page, with " (continued)" tacked onto the end of the header. I looked at "fields" for this, but I don't see that level of customization. Can anyone suggest what Word features I should use to create this effect?

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2017-08-21T23:43:35+00:00

Try using a STYLEREF field.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Stefan Blom 353.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2017-08-24T22:08:46+00:00

    As I wrote, you can insert temporary page breaks to see all headers and footers of a continuous section. Just press Ctrl+Enter in the continuous section (repeatedly if required).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-08-25T12:22:16+00:00

    Yes, I can make the other section headers appear, but that's not helping the problem. The problem is that the section 3 header won't allow me to mark it to "Link to Previous".

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-08-25T14:39:14+00:00

    Yes, I can make the other section headers appear, but that's not helping the problem. The problem is that the section 3 header won't allow me to mark it to "Link to Previous".

    Let me say some more. I'm not sure if not being able to "Link to Previous" is the problem, or is a symptom of another problem.

    The field in the header of sections 1 & 2 is independent of the fields in sections 3 and all that follow. In sections 1 & 2, I can get the field to display the last Heading 1 title. No matter how few/many pages I expand sections 1 or 2 to.

    In sections 3 and all that follow, I have inserted the field in the header, it exists there, but when I have it display the Heading 1 title, it goes blank-it displays nothing. When I toggle that field in sections 3 and those that follow, the field code will appear on all the section 3 and those that follow headers.

    When I go to the section 3 header and click on the "Link to Previous" button, Word seems to go through the motions of trying to link the section 3 header to the section 2 header, but when I click back onto the Design section in the menu, the"Link to Previous" text is not highlighted - the link doesn't happen. Maybe this is clearer? (We'll see...)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Stefan Blom 353.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2017-08-25T22:52:12+00:00

    Note that you can't link the content of a first page header (or footer) to the content of an even page header (or footer). The "linkage" is between sections, and only for the same type of header (or footer). For example, the even page header in section 3 may be linked to the even page header in section 2.

    A consequence of that is that, for different types of headers in the same section, you will have to insert your STYLEREF field multiple times (once for each header the section contains).

    Can you share an example document where you see a behavior different from what you expect?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments