word document - how to create custom section headers?

Anonymous
2017-08-17T16:37:36+00:00

I have a Word 2016 document with 6 sections in it. Each section contains 3 tables. It's possible for the tables to span more than one page. When they do, I'd like to repeat the section header at the top of the second page, with " (continued)" tacked onto the end of the header. I looked at "fields" for this, but I don't see that level of customization. Can anyone suggest what Word features I should use to create this effect?

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2017-08-21T23:43:35+00:00

Try using a STYLEREF field.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Stefan Blom 353.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2017-08-24T14:53:30+00:00

    "Different first page" applies to each section individually, so turning if off for one section does not help. ("Different odd and even" applies to all sections of the document, though.)

    As Charles said, you can insert temporary page breaks so that you can see all headers (and footers). You can then link or unlink each type of header (footer). The "linkage" is by header type (and by footer type). In other words, a first page header can only be linked to, or unlinked from, the corresponding first page header in the preceding section. See http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com/HeaderFooter.htm.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-08-24T13:59:29+00:00

    OK, I see that there are 3 headers for each section.By turning off "Different First Page" and "Different Odd & Even Pages", they should all behave the same, correct? If so, I'm not getting that result.

    At the top of the 1st section, I see the StyleRef field displayed, like I expect. Page 2 begins section 3, but the StyleRef field doesn't display there. If I extend page 2 to be a third page (before the next page break happens), then the StyleRef field appears on page 2, but not on page 3.

    When I press Shift-F9, the displayed content of the StyleRef field turns into {STYLEREF  "Heading 1" \I \*MERGEFORMAT}, but that text appears on all pages. Press Shift-F9 again and the displayed content appears on page 1, but it disappears for all the other pages. Other than the two "Different ... Pages" options, how else can I set a different header for the "rest of the doc"?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Charles Kenyon 171.1K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2017-08-22T18:17:08+00:00

    Yes, I was able to insert a StyleRef field into the page header. That basically did the trick, I'm just having problems getting it to appear on all pages. The field seems to exist on the header of every page in the doc, but some of them don't display, they are blank. I've gotten the first and last section to show up, not the 4 sections between them. This is unexpected behavior.

    Otherwise, you can insert (temporary) manual page breaks sufficient to make all sections have at least three pages and then insert your StyleRef field in every header that does not have one. That may be sufficient.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Charles Kenyon 171.1K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2017-08-22T18:14:16+00:00

    Yes, I was able to insert a StyleRef field into the page header. That basically did the trick, I'm just having problems getting it to appear on all pages. The field seems to exist on the header of every page in the doc, but some of them don't display, they are blank. I've gotten the first and last section to show up, not the 4 sections between them. This is unexpected behavior.

    Chuck

    Every Section in a Word document has three headers and footers, whether or not you see them. This can be confusing.

    Header/Footer Settings Recap

    There is a free tool that can help you with this.

    Word Toolkit for Advanced Management of Word Headers and Footers

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments