word document - how to create custom section headers?

Anonymous
2017-08-17T16:37:36+00:00

I have a Word 2016 document with 6 sections in it. Each section contains 3 tables. It's possible for the tables to span more than one page. When they do, I'd like to repeat the section header at the top of the second page, with " (continued)" tacked onto the end of the header. I looked at "fields" for this, but I don't see that level of customization. Can anyone suggest what Word features I should use to create this effect?

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2017-08-21T23:43:35+00:00

Try using a STYLEREF field.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-09-06T14:37:31+00:00

    Thanks, I'll check out that tool.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Charles Kenyon 171.2K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2017-09-06T14:15:12+00:00

    You may want to use the Word Toolkit for Advanced Management of Word Headers and Footers. It is a diagnostic.

    Here are a couple of screen shots:

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-09-06T14:04:14+00:00

    Thank you for the follow-up! I don't "think" it's the Content Controls, some of them seem to behave properly. You might be right, though. Moreso, I get the impression that the document is "starting over" at the beginning of section 3. I look forward to hearing about this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Stefan Blom 353.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2017-09-06T13:40:48+00:00

    There is something strange about that file. Or perhaps content controls are not fully supported in headers and footers.

    I have asked some fellow MVPs to have a look at your example file.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments