A family of Microsoft word processing software products for creating web, email, and print documents.
Try using a STYLEREF field.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I have a Word 2016 document with 6 sections in it. Each section contains 3 tables. It's possible for the tables to span more than one page. When they do, I'd like to repeat the section header at the top of the second page, with " (continued)" tacked onto the end of the header. I looked at "fields" for this, but I don't see that level of customization. Can anyone suggest what Word features I should use to create this effect?
***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***
A family of Microsoft word processing software products for creating web, email, and print documents.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Try using a STYLEREF field.
Sections 1 & 2 of my document are both on page 1. The section break between them is "Continuous". Section 3 begins on page 2. All of the other section breaks are proceeded by page breaks.
I inserted the StyleRef field into the section 1 header. I can set "Link to Previous" for sections 4 and beyond, but not for section 3. It's not displaying that option for Section 3 (and this is where the problem begins). Hhhmmm...
"Different first page" applies to each section individually, so turning if off for one section does not help. ("Different odd and even" applies to all sections of the document, though.)
As Charles said, you can insert temporary page breaks so that you can see all headers (and footers). You can then link or unlink each type of header (footer). The "linkage" is by header type (and by footer type). In other words, a first page header can only be linked to, or unlinked from, the corresponding first page header in the preceding section. See http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com/HeaderFooter.htm.
OK, I see that there are 3 headers for each section.By turning off "Different First Page" and "Different Odd & Even Pages", they should all behave the same, correct? If so, I'm not getting that result.
At the top of the 1st section, I see the StyleRef field displayed, like I expect. Page 2 begins section 3, but the StyleRef field doesn't display there. If I extend page 2 to be a third page (before the next page break happens), then the StyleRef field appears on page 2, but not on page 3.
When I press Shift-F9, the displayed content of the StyleRef field turns into {STYLEREF "Heading 1" \I \*MERGEFORMAT}, but that text appears on all pages. Press Shift-F9 again and the displayed content appears on page 1, but it disappears for all the other pages. Other than the two "Different ... Pages" options, how else can I set a different header for the "rest of the doc"?
Yes, I was able to insert a StyleRef field into the page header. That basically did the trick, I'm just having problems getting it to appear on all pages. The field seems to exist on the header of every page in the doc, but some of them don't display, they are blank. I've gotten the first and last section to show up, not the 4 sections between them. This is unexpected behavior.
Otherwise, you can insert (temporary) manual page breaks sufficient to make all sections have at least three pages and then insert your StyleRef field in every header that does not have one. That may be sufficient.