word document - how to create custom section headers?

Anonymous
2017-08-17T16:37:36+00:00

I have a Word 2016 document with 6 sections in it. Each section contains 3 tables. It's possible for the tables to span more than one page. When they do, I'd like to repeat the section header at the top of the second page, with " (continued)" tacked onto the end of the header. I looked at "fields" for this, but I don't see that level of customization. Can anyone suggest what Word features I should use to create this effect?

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
2017-08-21T23:43:35+00:00

Try using a STYLEREF field.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Charles Kenyon 171.1K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2017-09-22T15:25:14+00:00

    One other thing that will give you a blank field is if there is an empty paragraph with your style.

    2.2 Why you should press Enter only once to end a paragraph

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-09-22T12:50:07+00:00

    If a StyleRef Field refers to text that has been marked as hidden, it will show as blank.

    StyleRef field does not work with hidden text

    Useful StyleRef tricks by Suzanne Barnhill (Figure 7)

    In other words, if following the rules for which text is found by a StyleRef field, Word encounters text in the document that has been marked as hidden, it uses that text, but does not display it. It does not find the next instance of the style that is unhidden.

    I believe that is the source of your problem.

    Note that hidden text is not gone. It is there.

    I generally have Word set to display hidden text. You have no control over whether or not the user displays hidden text.

    I would urge you to explore Peter's work. I do not know if it will do what you want.

    The problem existed when no sections were hidden. Changing the "bottom to top" option pretty much did the trick. Only the StyleRef field on the very first page doesn't display, because the first section doesn't have a header. I can live with that. I'll look through the links, though, I'll probably run across something I'll use at some point along the line.  :-)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Charles Kenyon 171.1K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2017-09-21T12:42:05+00:00

    If you need to keep with the hidden text and Peter's calculation fields do not work for you, you could create some new hidden heading styles and have your macro change the style of your headings back and forth as it hides and unhides sections. It is more work than I would care to do but should work. Then the hidden text would no longer be formatted in the style that your StyleRef field is seeking.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments