De-duping a mailing list

Anonymous
2017-10-21T04:39:27+00:00

Hi everyone,

I have a spreadsheet consisting of about 150 rows. It contains the full names of the people in Column F and each of the rows have either a “billing address”, “home address”, “work address” or “PO address”. The spreadsheet is sorted by column F (Full name) in alphabetical order so that you can clearly see the duplicate names. In fact, the duplicates in column F were identified in another workbook and copied into the current separate one so that duplicate customer records could be removed in preparation for a mailout.

In most instances there are only two duplicates for any particular customer but in some cases there could be 3, 4 or even 5. The goal of the exercise is to keep the customer row that has a home address as that is the preferable address to send to. If there’s no home address, then keep the billing address. If no billing address, then keep the work address. If no work address keep the PO box address.

My first attempt at this de-duping was to sort by home address, then by billing address, then by work address, then by PO box address. Even though this helped identify which entries had a home address, it still hasn’t solved the problem as it hasn’t de-duped as I would like and as I described in the previous paragraph.

Can anyone tell me if this can be done in excel and if yes, how I would go about it? Or would I would need to get some vba code written?

Would really appreciate any advice.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-10-22T05:44:29+00:00

    The following is a screenshot of the error - it seems that the part in red might be contributing. Are you able to determine anything from the screenshot?

    did you setup your names sheet this way?

    where there are numbers below the heading names that replaces that reference with the actual column numbers?  or you can manually type the column numbers to 44 cells in all instances to each formula

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-10-22T05:41:30+00:00

    The following is a screenshot of the error - it seems that the part in red might be contributing. Are you able to determine anything from the screenshot?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-10-22T05:39:18+00:00

    can you share the file in onedrive? I'll take a look at it and fix it

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-10-22T05:37:18+00:00

    Ok I inserted the formula as follows in cell B3:

    =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP($A1,[test.xlsx]Home!$A$1:$AQ$61,B$2,FALSE))

    IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP($A1,[test.xlsx]Billing!$A$1:$AQ$118,B$2,FALSE)),IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP($A1,[test.xlsx]Work!$A$1:$AQ$33,B$2,FALSE)),IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP($A1,[test.xlsx]POBox!$A$1:$AQ$11,B$2,FALSE)),VLOOKUP($A1,[test.xlsx]POBox!$A$1:$AQ$11,B$2,FALSE),"NO MATCH ANYWHERE"),VLOOKUP($A1,[test.xlsx]Work!$A$1:$AQ$33,B$2,FALSE)),VLOOKUP($A1,[test.xlsx]Billing!$A$1:$AQ$118,B$2,FALSE)),VLOOKUP($A1,[test.xlsx]Home!$A$1:$AQ$61,B$2,FALSE))

    But I got the following error:

    The formula you typed contains an error.

    I noticed that in the title bar of my excel file it just says test, not test.xlsx - could this be contributing to the problem. Also, I'm using a Mac version of excel so not sure if that would have anything to do with it?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-10-22T05:29:33+00:00

    Sorry - didn't see that. I just test it by first pasting the formula into B3 exactly as you have it but nothing happened, ie. the formula seemed to just be entered as text, not a formula. I then tried:

    =VLOOKUP(

    IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP($A1,[test.xlsx]Home!$A$1:$AQ$61,$B$2,FALSE))

    IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP($A1,[test.xlsx]Billing!$A$1:$AQ$118,$B$2,FALSE)),IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP($A1,[test.xlsx]Work!$A$1:$AQ$33,$B$2,FALSE)),IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP($A1,[test.xlsx]POBox!$A$1:$AQ$11,$B$2,FALSE)),VLOOKUP($A1,[test.xlsx]POBox!$A$1:$AQ$11,$B$2,FALSE),"NO MATCH ANYWHERE"),VLOOKUP($A1,[test.xlsx]Work!$A$1:$AQ$33,$B$2,FALSE)),VLOOKUP($A1,[test.xlsx]Billing!$A$1:$AQ$118,$B$2,FALSE)),VLOOKUP($A1,[test.xlsx]Home!$A$1:$AQ$61,$B$2,FALSE))

    )

    But that didn't work either. Am I supposed to put your formula into B3 exactly as is?

    No just paste the formula below without any modification:

    =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP($A1,[test.xlsx]Home!$A$1:$AQ$61,B$2,FALSE))

    IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP($A1,[test.xlsx]Billing!$A$1:$AQ$118,B$2,FALSE)),IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP($A1,[test.xlsx]Work!$A$1:$AQ$33,B$2,FALSE)),IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP($A1,[test.xlsx]POBox!$A$1:$AQ$11,B$2,FALSE)),VLOOKUP($A1,[test.xlsx]POBox!$A$1:$AQ$11,B$2,FALSE),"NO MATCH ANYWHERE"),VLOOKUP($A1,[test.xlsx]Work!$A$1:$AQ$33,B$2,FALSE)),VLOOKUP($A1,[test.xlsx]Billing!$A$1:$AQ$118,B$2,FALSE)),VLOOKUP($A1,[test.xlsx]Home!$A$1:$AQ$61,B$2,FALSE))

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments