OneNote is not responding to typing

Anonymous
2017-06-21T13:14:52+00:00

Hey Guys,

Having an issue with OneNote for Mac at the moment where the keyboard stops working on OneNote and I cannot type anything until I restart the program.

Super annoying to keep restarting and every other application on my Mac works fine. I think it is a problem associated with the latest OneNote update.

My OneNote version is 15.35.1 (170616)

please let me know how to fix this?

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For home | MacOS

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-08-28T02:52:14+00:00

Hi Jim and Mandrews0,

Office Insider is a preview program for consumer Office 365 subscribers, which is why you do not see it if you install OneNote via the Mac App Store.

For those who still have the issue on 15.38, please share the reproduce steps to help find the root cause if you do have one.

For those who can't update to 15.38, please wait until it is generally available to try it out.

As the thread is attracting a lot of spam, I will be locking the thread from further replies. If you have a solid reproduce steps to share, please create a new thread and we will respond in a timely manner.

Regards,

Sheen

[Updated by Sheen V. Ali MSFT, 29 Aug 2017, 5.57 AM (UTC)]

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

89 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-07-25T22:31:04+00:00

    Hello,

    Thank you for the information, it'll be very useful for us in tracking down the issue. Could you please provide us with the following as well?

    1) I'd like to get a better idea of when this issue occurs for you

    • Does it occur as you are already successfully typing? For example, are you typing on a page with no problems, and suddenly as you are typing, the page no longer accepts typing characters?
    • Does it occur after you have been away from OneNote for some time (hours? days?) but it is still running? For example, you might have OneNote running on your computer but not use it for a while, and when you open it to use it, the issue occurs on the first keystroke?
    • Does it occur right after launching? For example, you launch OneNote for the first time that day (so the icon bounces on the dock), and as soon as you go to type something, it fails?
    1. When the issue occurs, and you place the cursor (blinking line) on some text, does the delete/backspace key work to delete characters? Does pressing Enter/Return create a new line? (You can press CMD+z to undo this)
    2. When the issue occurs, can you draw on the page with ink?

    Thanks so much for your help,

    Nick from OneNote

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-07-25T23:19:28+00:00

    1)---

    It occurs after a transition of some sort, either a new page a new table row or column or maybe even paste of an image. it never happens mid typing. 

    It has occurred when away from OneNote, but it's a bit random and happens several times a day usually. I almost never quit the application but will usually close the window.  It always happens on the first keystroke, it's happened in various places in the note. I have not checked if I can rename a page or note when in this state but will try. 

    Haven't really noticed it on a new launch. I do know that closing the window and reopening it fixes the problem. Shutting down the app does as well. So no it doesn't happen on a launch.. 

    2)---

    Backspace, Space, Tab and Delete are suppressed as well in this state. clipboard command do work CMD V, X, C and Z all seem to work. 

    3)---

    I have not tried drawing. 

    I will also try to activate the keyboard viewer and see if that can enter text. I suspect it wouldn't I don't believe it's a hardware thing as key combos and directional keys work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-07-25T23:52:24+00:00

    Thank you for the info, it is very helpful. I am confident that this is not a hardware/keyboard issue, so there is no need for you to further go down that path.

    One more thing to try:

    When you are in this state, could you please try going to a page that has multiple lines, placing the cursor on some text, and pressing "CMD+ALT+Up/Down Arrow" on the keyboard? This is the hotkey to move a line up or down on a page. Could you let me know if this is successful?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-07-27T00:28:08+00:00

    Ok I have an Update... 

    It tends to happen when you create a new Page and you're in the Title Line and typing doesn't work.. 

    I found that Drawing does work. But when i switch back to text mode text is suspended. 

    The Enter key seems to be the only key that works beside key combos (CMD+Z,V,X,C) 

    CMD+ALT+Up/Down Arrow do work but you can move the line down only until you reach the note boarder. 

    The Keyboard viewer in the Mac acts just like the keyboard.. combo keys, arrow keys and Enter work but characters are suppressed. 

    Syncing while in this state does work. I went to another machine (PC) and deleted the line I had drawn during this test and it sync'd away. 

    Other Notes:  If I right click a Section and select "Rename" the keyboard will let me rename it as one would expect. so it's a suppression that only seem to be affecting actual Pages themselves. I tried to rename a Page but the insertion point sent to the Page Title and because it was on a page, text was suppressed. 

    Tags and Font manipulation work as expected. 

    Date and Date/Time insertion also work as expected. 

    Link insertions also work.

    Back in my old programming days I use to manipulate ASCII characters in the KEY_Press event of visual basic to block out or change of characters.. It seems almost like that's happening..

    Again simply Cmd+W to close the window then relaunching it corrects the problem.. 

    Hope this helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments