OneNote is not responding to typing

Anonymous
2017-06-21T13:14:52+00:00

Hey Guys,

Having an issue with OneNote for Mac at the moment where the keyboard stops working on OneNote and I cannot type anything until I restart the program.

Super annoying to keep restarting and every other application on my Mac works fine. I think it is a problem associated with the latest OneNote update.

My OneNote version is 15.35.1 (170616)

please let me know how to fix this?

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneNote | For home | MacOS

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-08-28T02:52:14+00:00

Hi Jim and Mandrews0,

Office Insider is a preview program for consumer Office 365 subscribers, which is why you do not see it if you install OneNote via the Mac App Store.

For those who still have the issue on 15.38, please share the reproduce steps to help find the root cause if you do have one.

For those who can't update to 15.38, please wait until it is generally available to try it out.

As the thread is attracting a lot of spam, I will be locking the thread from further replies. If you have a solid reproduce steps to share, please create a new thread and we will respond in a timely manner.

Regards,

Sheen

[Updated by Sheen V. Ali MSFT, 29 Aug 2017, 5.57 AM (UTC)]

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

89 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-07-25T23:52:24+00:00

    Thank you for the info, it is very helpful. I am confident that this is not a hardware/keyboard issue, so there is no need for you to further go down that path.

    One more thing to try:

    When you are in this state, could you please try going to a page that has multiple lines, placing the cursor on some text, and pressing "CMD+ALT+Up/Down Arrow" on the keyboard? This is the hotkey to move a line up or down on a page. Could you let me know if this is successful?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-07-25T23:19:28+00:00

    1)---

    It occurs after a transition of some sort, either a new page a new table row or column or maybe even paste of an image. it never happens mid typing. 

    It has occurred when away from OneNote, but it's a bit random and happens several times a day usually. I almost never quit the application but will usually close the window.  It always happens on the first keystroke, it's happened in various places in the note. I have not checked if I can rename a page or note when in this state but will try. 

    Haven't really noticed it on a new launch. I do know that closing the window and reopening it fixes the problem. Shutting down the app does as well. So no it doesn't happen on a launch.. 

    2)---

    Backspace, Space, Tab and Delete are suppressed as well in this state. clipboard command do work CMD V, X, C and Z all seem to work. 

    3)---

    I have not tried drawing. 

    I will also try to activate the keyboard viewer and see if that can enter text. I suspect it wouldn't I don't believe it's a hardware thing as key combos and directional keys work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-07-24T15:16:34+00:00

    I'm on version 15.36 (macOS 10.12.6)... I originally posted on another thread the following..

    I still get the issue about 4 or 5 times a day. I do find that just closing the OneNote window (⌘W) restores typing ability when restored.  It seems to happen after a sync. I've noticed it most when adding a note or page or adding a row to a table but it happens.  I've tried all the basic troubleshooting steps. Changing Notebooks, pages and notes.

    Note:

    I tried pasting onto a page when the keyboard wasn't typing text and it allowed me to paste it also allow me to copy and it allows me to Undo all using keyboard combinations. 

    I was also able to add a table, delete a column and add a row but could not add data to the table, nor could I delete it (using delete key). I was able to highlight the table and cut ⌘X to remove it. 

    Also keyboard navigation keys (Up, Down, Left, Right) arrows work as well. 

    The Space and TAB Keys are considered text (even within tables) and is also suppressed. 

    So it seems it's not a keyboard thing, it's not a note being locked for edits thing (clipboard works). 

    =================================

    I get the same issue. It's random but seems to occur during and right after a sync (it syncs all the time) but it's inconsistent. 

    OneNote Ver. 15.34 (170515) Office 356 Family 2016 (all updates applied)

    OS Ver. MacOS 10.12.5 Sierra (all updates applied) 

    It happens randomly in all notebooks (about 2 to 4 times a day average)

    Haven't seen it occur on any other version of OneNote (I have OneNote on Win7, Win10, iPhone and iPad) 

    I use it most on the Mac and occasionally on devices. 

    When this occurs the insertion point does not progress but continues to blink at the current position and key strokes are ignored. I have confirmed it is not a keyboard issue. They keyboard works in all other apps.  I've tried hitting esc, and waiting until well after sync had finished. When stuck I've even tried to move to a different note and type there. same affect on all notes until OneNote is reset via an App Quit and Restart. 



    This is a new development.  I looked in system information and I see that the latest version of OneNote was installed on 5/21/17.  I did not notice the problem before then.  I'm not going to install an earlier version to test. This is Microsoft's job to track down and remediate bugs. I'm just bringing it to your attention and giving as much detail as possible.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-07-24T14:06:44+00:00

    Make that Version 15.36. Also using MacOS Sierra 10.12.6.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments