MS Access 2016 No Longer Displays Field Size Options

Anonymous
2016-06-11T10:04:09+00:00

MS Access 2016 MSO (16.0.6925.1016) 32-bit

via Microsoft Office 365 Personal Subscription

Used on Windows 10

BUG:

The Field Size drop down combo for Number data types no longer displays values.  An empty (white) drop down area appears but no values are visible in it.  This make is impossible to specify the type of Number field (Double etc.) when creating or modifying a table.

Is MS aware of this bug? 

Is there a fix for it?

I've been successfully using MS Access for some time now and this bug just recently appeared in the last day or so.  I suspect a recent update may have broken the application.

Mark

Microsoft 365 and Office | Access | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-07-15T22:57:30+00:00

Hey everyone,

Here's more information on the latest Office 2016 update: Announcing June feature updates for Office 2016 for Office 365.Current version (counting Tuesday's security update) is 16.0.7070.2022.

Updating to this build (if you haven't yet done so) should solve the number field issue.

Thanks!

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-07-07T20:31:36+00:00

I'm glad to see that the fix for this problem is included in the latest Office Updates. 

For those with a Microsoft Office 365 subscription, open Access then:

File -> Account -> Update Options -> Update Now

and your copy of Office 365 will be updated, including a fix to Access.

It's great to have MS Access, one of my favorite applications, working as expected again.

Mark

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-06-12T16:35:20+00:00

    marcus p69,

    Correcting minor and irrelevant grammar and syntax is hardly a good use of your time (or anyone's time, for that matter). Please don't do that again, at least with any of my posts.

    The FMS link is reachable. I just tried it again.

    Scott McDaniel

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-06-12T16:52:20+00:00

    Have you tried to replicate this bug?  It's a simple matter of creating or modifying a number field and trying to select a Field Size option.

    I did, and my Table Designer works as expected. When I add a Field with the Number datatype, the Field Size combo shows me the expected values.

    I'm not sure how to check these updates and whether they were successful?  Guidance appreciated.

    In Win10, click the Windows button on the Taskbar, then click Settings. Select Update & Security, then click Advanced Options > View your update history.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-06-12T18:28:23+00:00

    Thanks Scott.  All my updates appear to be successful.  I've seen several others report this same issue.  I'm assuming you've got the latest version of MS Access (16.0.6925.1016  part of an Office 365 Personal subscription) and yet you report no problem.

    I posted a workaround above, which will enable people to continue to create new Number fields by repeatedly changing the default Number Field Size in Options.

    Whatever caused this issue, as reported by multiple users, happened within that last few days.  Let's hope that Microsoft is able to unravel this as I rely heavily on MS Access.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments