MS Access 2016 No Longer Displays Field Size Options

Anonymous
2016-06-11T10:04:09+00:00

MS Access 2016 MSO (16.0.6925.1016) 32-bit

via Microsoft Office 365 Personal Subscription

Used on Windows 10

BUG:

The Field Size drop down combo for Number data types no longer displays values.  An empty (white) drop down area appears but no values are visible in it.  This make is impossible to specify the type of Number field (Double etc.) when creating or modifying a table.

Is MS aware of this bug? 

Is there a fix for it?

I've been successfully using MS Access for some time now and this bug just recently appeared in the last day or so.  I suspect a recent update may have broken the application.

Mark

Microsoft 365 and Office | Access | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-07-15T22:57:30+00:00

Hey everyone,

Here's more information on the latest Office 2016 update: Announcing June feature updates for Office 2016 for Office 365.Current version (counting Tuesday's security update) is 16.0.7070.2022.

Updating to this build (if you haven't yet done so) should solve the number field issue.

Thanks!

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-07-07T20:31:36+00:00

I'm glad to see that the fix for this problem is included in the latest Office Updates. 

For those with a Microsoft Office 365 subscription, open Access then:

File -> Account -> Update Options -> Update Now

and your copy of Office 365 will be updated, including a fix to Access.

It's great to have MS Access, one of my favorite applications, working as expected again.

Mark

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-07-05T16:42:55+00:00

    There is a patch/fix, whatever you want to call it.

    If you have an MSI installation then run windows update.

    If you have an Office 365 CTR installation then you can perform an update there as well.

    For office365 there are multiple update channels so some people may get it sooner than others.  The Access team doesn’t control the release of Office updates -- Scott Gem

    Do also note, that Access did not ship with this bug.  It was an update performed by another group that broke Access.  Now I'm not saying that proper testing shouldn't have caught the problem before being release into the wild.  I totally agree, MS' QA has been going downhill for some time now.  That said, this was not an Access Dev Team problem, although it ended up being one since they had to resolve whatever had been broken.

    As for everything else, you always have the choice to not be at the forefront of technology and remain with what is stable (Windows 7, Office 2013 for instance) or switch over to MAC or LINUX, ... there are options.  I myself am strongly considering MAC.  I bought one for my wife a couple years back and she hasn't had a single question in all that time.  Not one problem, nothing.  The bloody thing just works!  I too get tired of fighting MS some days.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. ScottGem 68,840 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2016-07-05T18:22:28+00:00

     About a month ago I moved to Windows 10 and it is the most unstable and bug-ridden Windows I have ever seen. Then, OneDrive is the worst bug-ridden cloud storage I have ever seen. 

    Oh, and still there is no patch for the Access problem...

    Frank

    Really? 350 million people have upgraded to Win 10, yet complaints are minimal. Many industry pundits have touted Win 10. I have several machines upgraded to Win 10 with no problems whatsoever, I've been using OneDrive regularly without any problem.

    While, I'm sure you have encountered problems, I'm also sure they are the exception not the rule.

    As Daniel pointed out, Access was not shipped with this bug and a fix HAS been released.

    It appears that your goal is to just bad mouth MS with inaccuracies and innuendo instead of real facts.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-07-08T17:41:14+00:00

    Thanks a lot!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments