MS Access 2016 No Longer Displays Field Size Options

Anonymous
2016-06-11T10:04:09+00:00

MS Access 2016 MSO (16.0.6925.1016) 32-bit

via Microsoft Office 365 Personal Subscription

Used on Windows 10

BUG:

The Field Size drop down combo for Number data types no longer displays values.  An empty (white) drop down area appears but no values are visible in it.  This make is impossible to specify the type of Number field (Double etc.) when creating or modifying a table.

Is MS aware of this bug? 

Is there a fix for it?

I've been successfully using MS Access for some time now and this bug just recently appeared in the last day or so.  I suspect a recent update may have broken the application.

Mark

Microsoft 365 and Office | Access | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-07-15T22:57:30+00:00

Hey everyone,

Here's more information on the latest Office 2016 update: Announcing June feature updates for Office 2016 for Office 365.Current version (counting Tuesday's security update) is 16.0.7070.2022.

Updating to this build (if you haven't yet done so) should solve the number field issue.

Thanks!

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2016-07-07T20:31:36+00:00

I'm glad to see that the fix for this problem is included in the latest Office Updates. 

For those with a Microsoft Office 365 subscription, open Access then:

File -> Account -> Update Options -> Update Now

and your copy of Office 365 will be updated, including a fix to Access.

It's great to have MS Access, one of my favorite applications, working as expected again.

Mark

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. ScottGem 68,840 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2016-06-15T11:18:16+00:00

    One way of reporting bugs is through UserVoice. A problem with bug reporting, is that too often what may seem like a bug to someone is more likely a configuration issue. That's why we (MVPs) waited until we had several reports before passing it along. 

    As to how this slipped, the problem was not with in Access code. The problem is with a change to the Compiler that allows the code to run. So its not with the Access dev team. While I agree that this is an elemental feature, with a program as massive as Office, its really hard to test everything with each minor change.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-06-15T07:53:48+00:00

    Hi Tom,

    thank you very much for forwarding this to the developers. It is not possible to report this problem to MS, at least not here in Germany. The so called "support" says that they are not able to report this.

    I can not imagine how such a severe bug in an elementary function good slip through. Does MS not have a quality assurance team? I have been a quite satisfied MS software user for years, but since Mr. Nadella is MS' CEO MS software quality is in steep decline.

    Regards,

    Frank

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. ScottGem 68,840 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2016-06-14T11:46:16+00:00

    While we wait for Microsoft to discover this bug and release a fix, 

    Mark,

    First thank you for posting the workarounds. But I did want to comment on the above. You first reported this on June 11 (a Saturday). I believe you were the first to report it. By Sunday, I had noticed at least 2 other threads reporting the same thing with multiple users responding that they had encountered the same issue. At that point, I sent links to 3 of the threads to a contact on the Dev team. At the same time several other MVPs were discussing this issue in an e-mail group that we know the team monitors. I received a confirmation Monday afternoon that the bug and its cause had been identified and a fix was being worked on. 

    Hopefully the fix will be quickly found and released. I totally agree that this is a killer bug and needs to be fixed ASAP. So does my contact at MSFT. 

    I can make one suggestion as a work around. If you have access to an earlier version of Access, create your tables in that version, then continue to work on the app in 2016.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments