Data Validation - Is there a way to surpass the 255 characters limit?

Anonymous
2017-01-19T12:21:32+00:00

I had created the below formula, which is used for a drop-down list I am preparing. But when I came to paste it in the data validation box, it turned out that I can't insert more than 255 characters, while mine is 776 characters. Any help?

=IF(C2="Humanities List I",IF(C3="English",ENGL1,IF(C3="Others",_OTH1,IF(C2="Humanities List II",IF(C3="American and Media Studies",AMST2,IF(C3="Arabic and Near Eastern Languages",ARAB2,IF(C3="Architecture",ARCH2,IF(C3="Archeology",AROL2,IF(C3="English",ENGL2,IF(C3="Fine Arts and Art History",FAAH2,IF(C3="History",HIST2,IF(C3="Philosophy",PHIL2,IF(C3="Others",_OTH2,IF(C2="Natural Sciences",IF(C3="Others",OTHNS,IF(C2="Quantitative Thoughts",IF(C3="Others",OTHQT,IF(C2="Social Sciences List I",IF(C3="Others",OTHSS1,IF(C2="Social Sciences List II",IF(C3="Economics",ECON2,IF(C3="Education",EDUC2,IF(C3="Political Studies and Public Administration",PSPA2,IF(C3="Sociology and Media Studies",_SMS2,IF(C3="Others",OTHSS2,INDIRECT(SUBSTITUTE(C3," ","")))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-01-25T09:22:40+00:00

    "Your formulas that return "" effectively hide those cells. We could apply Conditional Formatting to change them to white text on a white background - that is easy to do, but not really needed." Yes I had done it before you had added the pre-requested codes to hide the rows, but it seemed very unprofessional. 

    I was wondering if we can add a text "--Select a field--" and "--Select a course--" to the cells C3 and C4 (respectively) in the sheet "GE Courses Description" before a student clicks on the drop-down list to choose their corresponding choice. Just like we have in cell C2 of the same sheet, but does not show on the drop-down list. I don't know if my answer is clear but I hope you get me? I tried doing it myself but it won't work even if I add the previously mentioned to every named range, as it would only show once the drop-down list is clicked, but not before. I believe it needs a code as well, am I correct?

    Thank you a lot Bernie

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-01-25T14:45:46+00:00

    Change the event code for sheet GE Courses Description to the code below, but also you will need to change the lookup cells - for example, C5 - from

    =IF(ISTEXT($C$4),VLOOKUP($C$4,'GE Database'!M4:S444,2,FALSE),"")

    to

    =IFERROR(IF(ISTEXT($C$4),VLOOKUP($C$4,'GE Database'!M4:S444,2,FALSE),""),"")

    Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)

        If Target.Address <> "$C$2" Then Exit Sub

        Application.EnableEvents = False

        If Target.Value = "Arabic Communication Skills" Or Target.Value = "English Communication Skills" Or Target.Value = "Writing in Discipline" Then

            Range("C3").Value = "Leave blank"

            Range("C3").EntireRow.Hidden = True

            Range("C4").Value = "--Select a course--"

        Else

            Range("C3").EntireRow.Hidden = False

            Range("C3").Value = "--Select a field--"

            Range("C4").Value = "--Select a course--"

        End If

        Application.EnableEvents = True

    End Sub

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-01-25T17:18:35+00:00

    Dear Bernie,

    I don't know what went wrong with my workbook, but it seems that every time I click on any of the drop-down cells that you had added codes to to hide other rows when they contain a specific text, my excel document completely crashes and stops functioning. Not only that, the whole workbook freezes and I can't press on anything else before I press CTRL+ALT+DELETE and kill the program from the task manager. I tried opening from different copies that I have, and they all gave me the same outcome. Do you have any idea why is this happening? It's a disaster to be honest if I can't fix this problem...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-01-25T19:56:35+00:00

    It worked for me in the version that I uploaded last - it is possible that one event is triggering another, getting into an infinite loop.  So, try this version:

    https://1drv.ms/x/s!AsKdy7Nfg\_FbgjFY4XgJhCasHG3T

    It allows me to make any and all changes - so here's hoping...

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-01-25T21:25:36+00:00

    Again Bernie, I thank you very much, I'm actually very honored to have met you here while I'm also very embarrassed from you for the amount of questions I had asked. Thank you.

    Weirdly, the last link that you had sent work, although I don't know why the previous one had crashed. I hope this issue doesn't happen again, but in case it does, you'll have to excuse me if I ask you for her once again.

    Much respect to you sir.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments