Data Validation - Is there a way to surpass the 255 characters limit?

Anonymous
2017-01-19T12:21:32+00:00

I had created the below formula, which is used for a drop-down list I am preparing. But when I came to paste it in the data validation box, it turned out that I can't insert more than 255 characters, while mine is 776 characters. Any help?

=IF(C2="Humanities List I",IF(C3="English",ENGL1,IF(C3="Others",_OTH1,IF(C2="Humanities List II",IF(C3="American and Media Studies",AMST2,IF(C3="Arabic and Near Eastern Languages",ARAB2,IF(C3="Architecture",ARCH2,IF(C3="Archeology",AROL2,IF(C3="English",ENGL2,IF(C3="Fine Arts and Art History",FAAH2,IF(C3="History",HIST2,IF(C3="Philosophy",PHIL2,IF(C3="Others",_OTH2,IF(C2="Natural Sciences",IF(C3="Others",OTHNS,IF(C2="Quantitative Thoughts",IF(C3="Others",OTHQT,IF(C2="Social Sciences List I",IF(C3="Others",OTHSS1,IF(C2="Social Sciences List II",IF(C3="Economics",ECON2,IF(C3="Education",EDUC2,IF(C3="Political Studies and Public Administration",PSPA2,IF(C3="Sociology and Media Studies",_SMS2,IF(C3="Others",OTHSS2,INDIRECT(SUBSTITUTE(C3," ","")))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-01-21T08:35:53+00:00

    https://mailaub-my.sharepoint.com/personal/kwa06\_mail\_aub\_edu/\_layouts/15/guestaccess.aspx?docid=17ce30cc41fa0461f8bc104e1e3f08839&authkey=AUiqswyNiyB4Ea99AXS2MrA&expiration=2017-02-20T08:30:30.000Z

    I hope this is the correct link as I am not very friendly with microsoft drive.

    As you will see, the workbook is consisted of two sheets, one for the user to use, and the other holds the database. The previously explained issue should have elaborated my problem sir, but in case it didn't, please contact me immediately as I check this page regularly.

    My problem lies in cell C4 of the sheet "GE Courses Description". I want this cell to show the corresponding list based on the choice made from cell C3, which is based on the choice made from cell C2. 

    May be a bit odd and annoying, but I extremely appreciate your help.

    Awaiting your reply, thank you very much Bernie!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-01-23T15:17:20+00:00

    I cannot download that file, and Excel online does not offer the required functionality. Could you change the file settings so that it can be copied or saved offline?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-01-23T19:06:14+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-01-23T20:06:22+00:00

    I still don't have permission to download the file.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-01-23T20:13:19+00:00

    This is very weird. I am very sorry and I very much appreciate your patience. Is there any other way I can share with you my document? What about giving you my phone number here and you send me a text message containing an email that you barely use?

    Again, please excuse this inconvenience.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments