A family of Microsoft spreadsheet software with tools for analyzing, charting, and communicating data.
I think you would do better to start a new thread for this new topic - that will enlarge your potential solution-provider population.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I had created the below formula, which is used for a drop-down list I am preparing. But when I came to paste it in the data validation box, it turned out that I can't insert more than 255 characters, while mine is 776 characters. Any help?
=IF(C2="Humanities List I",IF(C3="English",ENGL1,IF(C3="Others",_OTH1,IF(C2="Humanities List II",IF(C3="American and Media Studies",AMST2,IF(C3="Arabic and Near Eastern Languages",ARAB2,IF(C3="Architecture",ARCH2,IF(C3="Archeology",AROL2,IF(C3="English",ENGL2,IF(C3="Fine Arts and Art History",FAAH2,IF(C3="History",HIST2,IF(C3="Philosophy",PHIL2,IF(C3="Others",_OTH2,IF(C2="Natural Sciences",IF(C3="Others",OTHNS,IF(C2="Quantitative Thoughts",IF(C3="Others",OTHQT,IF(C2="Social Sciences List I",IF(C3="Others",OTHSS1,IF(C2="Social Sciences List II",IF(C3="Economics",ECON2,IF(C3="Education",EDUC2,IF(C3="Political Studies and Public Administration",PSPA2,IF(C3="Sociology and Media Studies",_SMS2,IF(C3="Others",OTHSS2,INDIRECT(SUBSTITUTE(C3," ","")))))))))))))))))))))))))))
A family of Microsoft spreadsheet software with tools for analyzing, charting, and communicating data.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
I think you would do better to start a new thread for this new topic - that will enlarge your potential solution-provider population.
Dear Bernie, I hope I can bother you again with my questions. I was watching some videos on youtube, and I had created a search engine after some tutorials. What I found interesting while watching one of the videos is that one of them had included a “gadget” icon inside the search box just like the below:
I was wondering if it was possible in any way to do this with some coding? Also, I wanted to ask you if you are experienced if I wanted to create a text inside the search box which would say “Search”, but would disappear once clicked on, mainly just like any search engine found online (i.e. youtube, google, etc.), just like the picture below:
While I was searching for the corresponding codes, I found the below, and I thought you could find them helpful, if they were to be relevant to my question, if you could spare a minute to solve this “new” issue for me.
If i can hassle you with this in your free time, while making this search engine more user-friendly and dynamic, I'd very much appreciate it brother. I tried upload the sheet, but it seems like OneDrive is down at the moment, Its the same old "GE Courses Description" in case you want to use it, I beleive i had the search engine available in the last link I had sent you.
Again and again, thank you very much my friend, and please excuse how annoying i'm becoming.
Sub SearchBox()
'PURPOSE: Filter Data on User-Determined Column & Text/Numerical value
'SOURCE: www.TheSpreadsheetGuru.com
Dim myButton As OptionButton
Dim SearchString As String
Dim ButtonName As String
Dim sht As Worksheet
Dim myField As Long
Dim DataRange As Range
Dim mySearch As Variant
'Load Sheet into A Variable
Set sht = ActiveSheet
'Unfilter Data (if necessary)
On Error Resume Next
sht.ShowAllData
On Error GoTo 0
'Filtered Data Range (include column heading cells)
Set DataRange = sht.Range("A4:E31") 'Cell Range
'Set DataRange = sht.ListObjects("Table1").Range 'Table
'Retrieve User's Search Input
mySearch = sht.Shapes("UserSearch").TextFrame.Characters.Text 'Control Form
'mySearch = sht.OLEObjects("UserSearch").Object.Text 'ActiveX Control
'mySearch = sht.Range("A1").Value 'Cell Input
'Determine if user is searching for number or text
If IsNumeric(mySearch) = True Then
SearchString = "=" & mySearch
Else
SearchString = "=*" & mySearch & "*"
End If
'Loop Through Option Buttons
For Each myButton In sht.OptionButtons
If myButton.Value = 1 Then
ButtonName = myButton.Text
Exit For
End If
Next myButton
'Determine Filter Field
On Error GoTo HeadingNotFound
myField = Application.WorksheetFunction.Match(ButtonName, DataRange.Rows(1), 0)
On Error GoTo 0
'Filter Data
DataRange.AutoFilter _
Field:=myField, _
Criteria1:=SearchString, _
Operator:=xlAnd
'Clear Search Field
sht.Shapes("UserSearch").TextFrame.Characters.Text = "" 'Control Form
'sht.OLEObjects("UserSearch").Object.Text = "" 'ActiveX Control
'sht.Range("A1").Value = "" 'Cell Input
Exit Sub
'ERROR HANDLERS
HeadingNotFound:
MsgBox "The column heading [" & ButtonName & "] was not found in cells " & DataRange.Rows(1).Address & ". " & _
vbNewLine & "Please check for possible typos.", vbCritical, "Header Name Not Found!"
End Sub
ADDING A CLEAR BUTTON (IF doable also, which would clear out the contents in the search box):
Sub ClearFilter()
'PURPOSE: Clear all filter rules
'Clear filters on ActiveSheet
On Error Resume Next
ActiveSheet.ShowAllData
On Error GoTo 0
End Sub
Yes - anytime Excel VBA makes a change to a worksheet, the undo/redo stack is cleared. That is one small downside of automating some of these processes.
For an unknown reason, I am not able to undo nor redo anything on the latest excel you had shared with me, which worked perfectly (VBA wise)? Do you have any idea why is that?
I'm always happy to help out. I hope that your problems never reappear - for your sake, not mine ;-)