Data Validation - Is there a way to surpass the 255 characters limit?

Anonymous
2017-01-19T12:21:32+00:00

I had created the below formula, which is used for a drop-down list I am preparing. But when I came to paste it in the data validation box, it turned out that I can't insert more than 255 characters, while mine is 776 characters. Any help?

=IF(C2="Humanities List I",IF(C3="English",ENGL1,IF(C3="Others",_OTH1,IF(C2="Humanities List II",IF(C3="American and Media Studies",AMST2,IF(C3="Arabic and Near Eastern Languages",ARAB2,IF(C3="Architecture",ARCH2,IF(C3="Archeology",AROL2,IF(C3="English",ENGL2,IF(C3="Fine Arts and Art History",FAAH2,IF(C3="History",HIST2,IF(C3="Philosophy",PHIL2,IF(C3="Others",_OTH2,IF(C2="Natural Sciences",IF(C3="Others",OTHNS,IF(C2="Quantitative Thoughts",IF(C3="Others",OTHQT,IF(C2="Social Sciences List I",IF(C3="Others",OTHSS1,IF(C2="Social Sciences List II",IF(C3="Economics",ECON2,IF(C3="Education",EDUC2,IF(C3="Political Studies and Public Administration",PSPA2,IF(C3="Sociology and Media Studies",_SMS2,IF(C3="Others",OTHSS2,INDIRECT(SUBSTITUTE(C3," ","")))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-01-29T18:11:13+00:00

    When you create the copy, do that within Excel - open the original, working workbook, and use  File / Save As, using macro-enabled .xlsm as the file type.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-01-29T13:20:16+00:00

    I just noticed that the original file is working well. But when I copy it or save it as a new file somewhere else, the codes stop functioning then. Would that help you better understand where the problem is?

    If yes, how can I create another copy of the file and make it function as the original one?

    Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-01-29T13:11:25+00:00

    Dear Bernie,

    At last, I finished the whole project. But shockingly, none of the macros/codes are functioning. 

    Do you mind if I send you a link to the final draft so that you can check it for ONE LAST TIME? 

    Thank you very much sir, and again, very sorry to have bothered you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-01-27T21:58:29+00:00

    "You have a house in Lebanon if you ever think about visiting, the offer has no expiry date!"

    That is a kind offer, more generous than any help I offered here - thank you.

    Bernie

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-01-27T21:46:04+00:00

    Thank you for your decent generosity sir. Although I had posted many different in the past couple of days on this website, but very few answered, and only you were kind enough to bear with my questions. Much respect for you Bernie. 

    You have a house in Lebanon if you ever think about visiting, the offer has no expiry date!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments