A family of Microsoft spreadsheet software with tools for analyzing, charting, and communicating data.
Sure - now that we have the technique worked out!
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I had created the below formula, which is used for a drop-down list I am preparing. But when I came to paste it in the data validation box, it turned out that I can't insert more than 255 characters, while mine is 776 characters. Any help?
=IF(C2="Humanities List I",IF(C3="English",ENGL1,IF(C3="Others",_OTH1,IF(C2="Humanities List II",IF(C3="American and Media Studies",AMST2,IF(C3="Arabic and Near Eastern Languages",ARAB2,IF(C3="Architecture",ARCH2,IF(C3="Archeology",AROL2,IF(C3="English",ENGL2,IF(C3="Fine Arts and Art History",FAAH2,IF(C3="History",HIST2,IF(C3="Philosophy",PHIL2,IF(C3="Others",_OTH2,IF(C2="Natural Sciences",IF(C3="Others",OTHNS,IF(C2="Quantitative Thoughts",IF(C3="Others",OTHQT,IF(C2="Social Sciences List I",IF(C3="Others",OTHSS1,IF(C2="Social Sciences List II",IF(C3="Economics",ECON2,IF(C3="Education",EDUC2,IF(C3="Political Studies and Public Administration",PSPA2,IF(C3="Sociology and Media Studies",_SMS2,IF(C3="Others",OTHSS2,INDIRECT(SUBSTITUTE(C3," ","")))))))))))))))))))))))))))
A family of Microsoft spreadsheet software with tools for analyzing, charting, and communicating data.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Sure - now that we have the technique worked out!
You are very welcome - I hope that you have all your issues worked out.
You can always post on this thread, if your issue applies to this specific topic. I can't remember everything, but sometimes it comes back quickly enough, and I should notice that you posted a new message.
Thanks for the invite - I'm not much of a traveler, so this forum is where we will meet again.
Thank you very much again sir I appreciate it a lot. I hope you don't mind if I had any further questions in the future in case I posted them here.
If you ever make a visit to Lebanon or think of visiting, please do notify me on my email ******@live.com so we can meet!
To leave the list as Others for display, you could use this for the Data Validation source
=INDIRECT(IF(C3="Leave Blank",SUBSTITUTE(C2," ",""),IF(C3="Others",SUBSTITUTE(C3&C2," ",""),SUBSTITUTE(C3," ",""))))
But - all the Others ranges need to be named as Others + what is in C2 (but without spaces), like
OthersNaturalSciences
OthersSocialSciencesListII
And, to hide the row, this modification to my code should work:
Option Explicit
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
If Target.Address <> "$C$2" Then Exit Sub
Application.EnableEvents = False
If Target.Value = "Arabic Communication Skills" Or Target.Value = "English Communication Skills" Or Target.Value = "Writing in Discipline" Then
Range("C3").Value = "Leave blank"
Range("C3").EntireRow.Hidden = True
Range("C4").ClearContents
Else
Range("C3").EntireRow.Hidden = False
Range("C3:C4").ClearContents
End If
Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub
That's what I get for trying to upload an update and share at the same time... sorry about that.